3 year old Honda

Old 06-25-21, 06:27 AM
P
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 year old Honda

I live in a congested area with tons of cars so garages have you at their mercy. We have tried references to no avail. Would you go to the dealer for maintenance or a garage in an adjacent town.
The 3 year warranty is up but Honda added a six year power train warranty due to an issue soon to become a recall. It is the gas and oil mixture which i have not experienced yet. It is more in cold states. I am in MD 1/2 hour from DC.

Old 06-25-21, 06:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts
Personally (and professionally) I rarely refer customers to dealerships except in the case of warranty work or recalls and the occasional proprietary system work. Otherwise it's been my experience that you get just as good of work from a reputable independent garage (I'm not big on chain outfits either) and at a lower cost. Also generally more personalized customer service; you often can speak directly to the boss or mechanic as opposed to only getting a face to face with a service writer who may or may not have actual mechanical experience.

Old 06-25-21, 06:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts
Additional note: You will often find that the owners and mechanics at independent garages started out working for a dealership before going out on their own.

Old 06-25-21, 07:18 AM
Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
What exactly is the "gas and oil mixture"? Sounds like lawn mower engine...

Old 06-25-21, 07:59 AM
P
Please google the gas/oil mixture issue and you will find Hondas around mine 2017 have this occurring in cold weather states. Repairs are being done there. It is becoming serious to the point it will become a recall, in my opinion.
To placate people in warmer states, instead of a repair they extended the power train warranty to six years. I always thought it was 6 already but could be wrong. Perhaps I have the words wrong but the warranty is extended to 6 years. Apparently the gas is entering the oil and the level on the dipstick is rising.
I keep my eye out for a recall. because of this issue and the extended warranty I asked about work on the car so I do not void the warranty. I knw an oil change will be ok but there are other issues like 4 wheel drive fluids etc. to be done per Honda.
For regular maintenance I will go where I want but for major work I will ask about the warranty first.
That is about as much as i know and wish it would get repaired for resale value.

Old 06-25-21, 08:39 AM
Received 997 Likes on 906 Posts
I rarely refer customers to dealerships
I completely agree, a few yeas ago the dealership diagnosed my vehicles issue as needing a $2500 trans rebuild and local shop diagnosed it as a $450 plugged catalytic converter.

Unless it's warranty or recall, I have 2 very good local repair places that I fully trust.

And as mentioned, dealership mechanics are paid a flat rate so it's in their financial best interest to do as little and as fast as possible every repair, not necessarily the best repair!

Old 06-25-21, 09:14 AM
P
Thank you for your information
Issue resolved

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: