08 Vibe with multiple problems, .... worth to keep it?

Old 07-02-22, 06:08 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
08 Vibe with multiple problems, .... worth to keep it?

Hello:
All of the sudden, several problems started when coming back from dentist office the other day. First was, 'battery light started flushing on the dash board,' then 'hard to steel the wheel, particularly turning sharp turn to the right,' After that, air-condition started failing on a very hot summer afternoon.

The day before it was nothing wrong, ... running smooth with cool air-condition without battery warning. I went to Auto Zone to replace the battery, ... but still the light comes on the dashboard.

Since there is a very low-mileage and first of all, I love its feature and convenient to haul a large amount of contents.

I'd like to keep the 08 Vibe(pontiac), however wonder whether I should put a money on several problems as concerning that the Vibe might start falling apart, even though it appears to me a good car to fix it,.

Any inputs and honest opinions would be truly appreciated.
Thanks,

Top Answer

07-02-22, 09:19 AM
alan73
Upvotes: 0
Received 112 Upvotes on 97 Posts
If you like the car and its low enough on mileage would likely get it repaired just go to a shop get it diagnosed and see what it needs, battery lights do not usually come on due to a bad battery it is almost always related to the charging system or alternator, could be a belt issue though.

Old 07-02-22, 06:39 AM
Received 24 Upvotes on 19 Posts
A Vibe is a Toyota Matrix rebadged - a great car ! My son recently replaced the alternator in his Vibe.

Time to have a mechanic give it a good inspection (and repair estimate) so you will be working with facts rather than conjecture. Then you can make an informed decision.

The model year is important in the thread but mileage and repair history would be most helpful...

CircuitBreaker voted this post useful.
Old 07-02-22, 06:47 AM
Received 61 Upvotes on 52 Posts
Most likely needs new belt, as it drives both alternator and AC compressor and power steering pump.

Old 07-02-22, 08:01 AM
B
Received 292 Upvotes on 259 Posts
If the battery light you referenced is really a check engine light, then a new battery would not turn the light off and there should be some fault (OBD) codes in the car's computer. Did Auto Zone check for any fault codes?

Old 07-02-22, 09:19 AM
A
If you like the car and its low enough on mileage would likely get it repaired just go to a shop get it diagnosed and see what it needs, battery lights do not usually come on due to a bad battery it is almost always related to the charging system or alternator, could be a belt issue though.

CircuitBreaker, ukrbyk voted this post useful.
Old 07-02-22, 10:05 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
A Vibe is a Toyota Matrix rebadged
Actually both the Vibe and Matrix are different models, many similarities, based off the Corolla platform. I worked for GM at the NUMMI facility in Freemont assigned to the second gen 09-10 where the Vibe and Corolla was built. The Matrix was build up in Canada.

Very durable cars, I had an 09, loved it but got rear ended by a 16 year old texting.

I'd do that mechanic review and see what's going on.

Old 07-02-22, 10:31 PM
Thanks ALL for very useful and candid opinions. I REALLY appreciate all.
I found a nearby car repair shop that dealing with all sort of car problems including diagnostic test and plus 12 months' warranty.
Since the Vibe is a low-mileage and first of all, I still love the car, I decided to bring it to that shop soon, even though there is a hectic money I need to spend, ... but it's worth.
Even I looked at a similar car spending for hours over the internet, ... but it might be all 'gamble' .... it may not be as good as the Vibe and also there is no guarantee there is no problem attached.
I also have Metrix(for the family) with a low-mileage for back-up, then there is no rush to get it done.
I's not easy for me to get it done due to a lot of money involves, ... but I try it since there are a bunch of good master-mechanics working at the shop.
Any opinions on this would be truly appreciated.

Old 07-03-22, 05:34 AM
In addition to the shop, the above, there is a good and familiar mechanic working at the service station, just 5 minute's drive. He's been helping me minor car repairs several times for the past years. However, he's an only mechanic at that shop and appears to me that he has been repairing many cars solely on his many years' experience, not rely on 'diagnostic test' that concerns me because of several major problems in need to repair on the Vibe even though I'd like to bring the car in to this, a friendly and nice mechanic guy.

Old 07-03-22, 06:35 AM
Received 61 Upvotes on 52 Posts
Look, just pop the hood open. Grab the serpentine belt firmly and try to twist it. If you can twist it 180 degree, it's done. Also, look at the ribs carefully. If you see cracked or partially missing ribs, it's done. New belt is $30 or so and about 20 to install with a buddy with tools. Maybe some cold beverage as reward. Or barbecue.

Old 07-03-22, 08:42 AM
J
Received 50 Upvotes on 46 Posts
Problem could also be a worn pulley or tensioner.
Take a look at the belt with the engine running. If it wobbles side to side there may be a bad pulley.
Also look at the tensioner, if it's bouncing on the belt then either the tensioner is bad or the belt is stretched.

Old 07-03-22, 11:43 AM
A
you really do not know if the problems are related or not until you have a shop look at it,
as per diagnostic test cars has had computers for a very long time even back in the 80s and feed back carburetors,
then oibd 2 came along in 95 requiring all manufacturers to use the same diagnostic connector witch actually simplified the process of reading codes and data, once you retrieve codes you can usually go through a flow chart to determine the problem so not really sure how any mechanic could have worked on cars without having some diagnostic ability.

Old 07-04-22, 06:25 AM
Thanks for the response.
It's hard to determine which shop I should bring the car in. The Master Repair Shop, the cost of Diagnostic test is more than $200 that might be a fair price as seeing that everything is going up, not only gas price but grocery bill and all others as well.
On the otherhand, the mechanic working at Service Station might be good choice even though the price is as same as the independent car-repair-shop since I'm familiar and also distance, 5 minute's drive. I believe that the car-repair at service station does 'diagnostic test' as seeing that he's always busy doing repairing cars.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: