Wiper flips out of the J-hook on Hyundai Elantra 2009

Old 08-12-22, 08:59 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiper flips out of the J-hook on Hyundai Elantra 2009

My car is old-- a 2009 Hyundai Elantra but it runs fine. Lately I can't keep a wiper blade in the passenger side J-hook.

I have changed an old one out that Google said was too long. The user manual did not have the
wiper blade lengths in the install wiper to j hook section. So Google said a 16 in along with a 26 in driver side wiper was correct.

I had an 18 in. that flipped out. I thought it was due to an end catching on the hood air intake
under the windshield. I snipped some off and put it back on. Same thing: I was in the rain, it ran for about a minute cycling then flipped out.

I'm left with the idea that the J hook is loose since the wiper slides on very easily which is unusual.
The 16 inch new one I bought is installed in the car. That is a Rain-X with J hook adapter installed.

What I want to know is, have others adjusted the J hook with a bit of squeeze tightening to snug it up.?
Or are there other answers not mentioned here? If a squeeze can be done, how much is too much or is the metal itself too stiff to use a Vice Grip or some other tightening tool? I also thought of carpenters clamp that could give it just a nudge.

Last edited by lon in appleton; 08-12-22 at 09:02 PM. Reason: syntax
Old 08-13-22, 12:29 AM
Received 950 Votes on 862 Posts
In all the years of owning cars I have never had to make any adjustments to a wiper arm.

The thing is with the J-Hook style, which I have on several current cars, is that the wipers itself has a small folding section that closes off the opening so the blade cant come off regardless of the fit onto the J-Hook.

You sure you have the correct blades? Some blades come with multiple attachment pieces in a bag, maybe you missed it?

Old 08-13-22, 03:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 674 Votes on 597 Posts
After you install the blade does it feel like it's solidly attached? you should be able to tug on it and not have it come loose.

Old 08-13-22, 04:51 AM
A
Received 64 Votes on 56 Posts
you could compare the hook on both sides see if one is narrower really have not ever seen an issue with them but suppose it's possible it may be bent out could just be wiper blade issue though some brands do lock in better than others. looks like 24 drivers and 18 passenger is the most common size for your car.

Old 08-13-22, 09:47 AM
L
Those are good observations. I agree it's a weird problem and just sort of started up after all the
years of having the car-- and not new when I got it. The brand new one I bought and now installed seems a bit more snug. I may have wait for the next drive in the rain-- could be this afternoon by the look of it. And I'm due to go to the service stop for an oil change pretty soon so I could wait for their crew to see if there's any real problem.

Old 08-17-22, 12:13 PM
L
For anyone viewing this, I put on a proper size Rain-X Weatherbeater with J-hook preinstalled. There is only one other attachment that could possibly be put on which is for the 'pin arm' snap- through kind. One trip in the rain and I first pulsed the wipers then put on high close to home just in case. The problem side stayed on ok.
But it can still be slid in place a bit.

I tried a tiny C-clamp to just give a half turn or so on the J-hook. But I believe it just came back and that it's sprung metal or something that won't take a bend.

Last, I got the idea of taking a straight piece of plastic strip from the Weatherbeater box,
heating it up over a stove burner (as I saw the repairman here do for toilet flushers) and giving that the proper bend. I'll try to put that in place and if it's too tight, just not try to exert any pressure and forget it. No glue used or anything of the sort.

In all this I feel like I've failed some IQ test by wiper makers. Too many clippy things. The answer is just
have one style per wiper arm type.

Last edited by lon in appleton; 08-17-22 at 12:26 PM. Reason: additional
Old 08-17-22, 02:34 PM
Received 950 Votes on 862 Posts
I don't thing its a wiper arm problem but a wiper blade problem.

As I noted before the Bosch wipers I buy for same style have a cover that snaps close behind the arm connection.

Even if the J-hook was loose, which I believe mine are to some degree, that closing feature on the blade prevents the blade from coming off!

Old 08-17-22, 08:08 PM
L
Marq1

I haven't seen the Bosch style but I have a number of wipers in supply now so I'll have to twiddle with those. Thanks for answering. :-)

Old 08-18-22, 11:18 AM
Received 44 Votes on 39 Posts
Old 08-18-22, 08:48 PM
L
I had a look. Thanks for the tip.

Old 09-01-22, 11:28 AM
L
An update on this. A peculiar problem, I know but I found that the approved pre- installed j-hook from Rain-X was still loose. As I was going to just see if that strip of plastic (described above) I was going to wrap around the hook to snug it up would work, the wiper came loose again in my hand. I added the plastic strip and reassembled. The wiper now seems to have no play in it for future operation.

There's only one way I know of that the wiper is attached-- one direction. But I don't hear any snap closure from the wiper when I put it on or release that snap when it comes off.

Old 09-01-22, 01:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 674 Votes on 597 Posts
If I'm not mistake many autoparts stores will install the wiper for free - assuming you bought it from them.

Old 09-01-22, 03:11 PM
L
Well when the snow comes and you really need wipers, it's best to have an extra and know how to change it.

I've had the change made at the auto shop too.

Old 09-02-22, 10:57 AM
Received 44 Votes on 39 Posts
Sometimes I do not hear or feel the snap. I always pull on the bottom of the wiper after I install to be sure it latched. It should not come off unless you press the clip underneath. See photo in step 6 of the guide I posted earlier.

Old 09-03-22, 10:28 AM
L
Thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can see what's going on at the clip end though it is hard to view on the
passenger side. This one is new so It's not broken or anything.

Old 09-03-22, 03:47 PM
L
I compared my driver's side wiper for the click. It indeed is in there securely. It's a different brand ans so old the paint is worn and I can't read the label, but the rubber blade is still in good shape. I think it's an ANCO

On the problem side I can see that the smaller clicky part doesn't reach to click anything. I'll have to continue
with shimming the j hook to the connector. There's just nothing else for it. Perhaps j hooks have changed shape over the years. I have some older snap on thingies that always come loose or go on crooked. It never ends.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: