Used vehicle purchase question

Old 08-17-22, 06:43 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Used vehicle purchase question

Hi All,
Looking to see your thoughts on this. Have to my current 2002 PT cruiser. Looking at a 2016 Hyundia Sonata with 73K. The car fax is clean and has had regular oil changes and maint.. We did receive the Vehicle cost - RO sheet from the Hyundia dealer on what they did to the car when it arrived. The concerning thing is as follows. After searching the internet on The 2016 Sonata it appears they suffer from excessive oil usage with some adding 1-2 quarts between oil changes and their is even a couple class action lawsuits for this issue. In fact this looks to be true for many other year Sonatas, Hyundia vehicles and Kia's as well. The carfax shows oil changes but no other info. The dealer RO sheet shows that the vehicle has a history of burning oil, they removed the valve covers and checked for oil sludge and also checked the cylinder walls and that all seems ok with no sludge found. This will be a first car for my 19 year old son who will probably put 10K a year on it but the loan will be for 5 years. I am wondering what your thoughts are and if this is a vehicle that we should stay clear of as i know it will probably be opinions only. We have not bought used vehicles in many years as we always lease. Unfortunately it seems that every vehicle you search for online has some kind of issues. Thx for any info.

Top Answer

08-18-22, 06:19 AM
the_tow_guy
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
That's his current vehicle.

RO = Repair Order, usually.

jcraft, although may be hard to find in today's market, I would be looking for a good used Corolla (or Camry w/4 cyl); run forever and hard to kill. Even at a higher initial cost, better in the long run.

Old 08-17-22, 07:55 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
Consumer Reports reliability ratings in the April 2022 issue show that vehicle to be Much Worse than Average (the lowest rating) Overall, and in 7 of 17 categories, including all the engine related categories (major, minor, cooling).

Old 08-17-22, 08:51 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
The dealer RO sheet shows that the vehicle has a history of burning oil,
Not sure what RO sheet is but now you know that it has documented issues so you have to decide if the price warrants a car with known defect(s).

To some degree all cars can/do burn oil, that in itself is not necessarily mean the car will break down but it's when it crosses the line and burns a lot of oil that the problems start.

Old 08-17-22, 07:23 PM
Received 61 Upvotes on 52 Posts
PT Cruisers are not reliable cars to buy. That's the end of it, pretty much.

CircuitBreaker voted this post useful.
Old 08-18-22, 06:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
That's his current vehicle.

RO = Repair Order, usually.

jcraft, although may be hard to find in today's market, I would be looking for a good used Corolla (or Camry w/4 cyl); run forever and hard to kill. Even at a higher initial cost, better in the long run.

2john02458, jeweler voted this post useful.
Old 08-18-22, 08:00 AM
A
Received 112 Upvotes on 97 Posts
I would still consider the vehicle as many manufacturers have had some oil consumption issues and most do not consider it a defect unless it does get over 1 qt per so many miles.
if you willing to increase your budget would also probably look at other newer cars with lower miles since you are going to have a long loan on it.

Old 09-21-22, 06:01 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
My nephew had the same issue with 2016 Hyundia sonata and ultimately he got tired and replaced with Honda Accord.
My personal preference is Camry/Corolla.
I have Camry 2003 and except users misuse the engine is great at 225K. Body is kind of dented but i am still driving around and working on the car too.

Old 09-22-22, 01:59 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Prices are way beyond reasonable at the moment. Personally, I am putting money into repairs now with the idea of putting off purchasing until prices come back down to something more reasonable. As long as you don't need something like a new engine or the vehicle is falling apart due to rust, I would attempt to hang onto it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: