What is the standard warranty on a car heater blower motor

Old 11-30-22, 06:24 PM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What is the standard warranty on a car heater blower motor

I'm having a blower motor replaced after about two years of use. I've gone back to the same shop figuring it's just the normal usage with an old car parked outside in severe Wisconsin winters and never in a home garage,. But what is the warranty period on the unit since that was not described to me?

Old 11-30-22, 06:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Most parts like that carry a one year warranty.

There are some stores like Auto Zone and Advanced Auto that offer lifetime warranties on parts like starters and alternators. It's possible they offer a "limited lifetime" warranty on blower motors too.

Your mechanic may offer/extend a lifetime part warranty and just charge replacement labor.

Old 11-30-22, 07:31 PM
L
Thanks for answering. This isn't a self install but I told the owner of the mechanic services shop doing it tha their previous install was right around two years. Other issue I was told about was a melted wire
which ( I don't know) could have been close to the heater core. I'm a civilian and don't know much about it. I'll have to take whatever the result is, like usual. I've gotten good service from this place and it is a trusted business. The car is over 10 years old and 120K miles on it.

Old 11-30-22, 07:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Trusted repair places remain trusted by taking care of their customers.

A blower motor draws a lot of current on high and it's very common to have the connections burn.
A loose connection creates a lot of heat.
That can happen at the motor itself, the speed resistor block or at the speed control on the dash.

Old 11-30-22, 07:57 PM
L
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I don't want to cast doubt on the place which has multiple but not
national locations. My records show that before the current two year run, the one done elsewhere before that looked to be over 5 years. That caused me to wonder about the possibility of warranty replacement _if_ a standard warranty is not something like 90 days. I couldn't get any Google result in looking for one. However I don't know this place's parts sources-- probably all over the area.

Old 12-01-22, 04:50 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Could be a lot of reasons. I live in the deep south but my 2007 Ram stays outside year- round & I replaced one maybe 2012. My wife's 2008 Yukon sits right beside mine & AFAIK, has never had one replaced. I may have replaced 2 or 3 in my lifetime. I usually keep vehicles 10 - 15 years or more.
Every 2 - 5 years is too often in my book.
Maybe it was just a bad build on that specific one. You just happened to get a bad one.
Maybe its the brand that was bought. Some brands are just not as good as others in various products. Again, I changed mine in about 2012. The OEM lasted 5 years, the auto parts store one has lasted 10 years.
Again, maybe just bad luck or bad parts. Could be a bad relay or something burning them up, but its hard to diagnose sometimes.
I'm sure your mechanic buys from a specific auto parts supplier. If it happens again, I'd ask him if he'd buy one from another source to get a different brand. Maybe specify made in USA or something instead of China, Mexico or Korea etc.
Also, some of these parts are rebuilt/remanufactured... not new. Usually they're just as good but again, it could be the brand, company that is rebuilding those.

Good luck Ion.......

Old 12-01-22, 07:05 AM
L
Dixie 2012
Thanks for answering. Yes, two years is pretty short. I called the owner after checking my records of
last install of this and offered that some better insulation or placement of the new
wire harness was needed. I did not ask around Hyundai forum of this being a common problem.
With a car this old I'm just glad I can handle the repair expense.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: