2014 Buick Enclave service questions

Old 03-20-23, 08:11 AM
N
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
2014 Buick Enclave service questions

We purchased the vehicle used in 2017, always do oil changes when the car tells us to, and have done (I think) a couple of the Buick recommended services. To be honest though, since the car was used, and is my wife's, I haven't paid the best attention to its service schedule (unlike my 'baby' which I take much better care of...). It has 75k miles and is due (per the car) for an oil change.

As long as we're going in for the oil change, what services do you recommend I do at this point, or at least ask them to check if it needs to be done? Or should I just stick with the buick recommendations for 75k, even if we perhaps didn't do something that should have been done at 70k, 50k...?

Separately, if we turn off the engine and keep the key in (so the radio continues) we almost always get a low battery warning within several minutes (maybe 15-20 at most, but often with 5 minutes). I've mentioned this to them in the past, and they never found anything wrong. I will mention it again, but is there anything specific that might cause this issue (just so I'm aware if they tell me they see nothing wrong or, on the flipside, claim they need to replace something expensive)?

Thank you.

Old 03-20-23, 09:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
You didn't mention age of the battery, but I'm assuming 2nd it's had. Could be time; relatively easy test that can be run to tell them battery condition. Any parts store will run this for free (they hope when you need a battery, you'll buy theirs).

Stick with the factory schedule and don't let them up-sell you; if it needed to be done, it would be on the factory schedule. An awful lot of dealerships sell unneeded services.

Personally, I prefer independent garages for everything but warranty and recalls.

FWIW, I can count on one hand the number of Enclaves I've towed, so apparently pretty reliable..

Old 03-20-23, 10:53 AM
N
Thanks. Battery is either original or has been changed once, but I honestly don't recall/have good records.

Also, given that I don't recall what exactly we've done in terms of other services/scheduled maintenances, is there anything I can/should ask them to check (without too much fear that they'll of course say 'yes, it needs to be replaced'...)?

In other words, I don't know if I've missed (for example only) a transmission fluid change, or a coolant change or a whatever...?

And yes, I'll likely go to a local place, although we actually had great service from a dealer who fixed an issue (that a local place couldn't) for an extremely inexpensive fee (they could have easily charged more/said they had to replace something expensive and I wouldn't have thought twice about it). So I was really pleased with their service.

Old 03-20-23, 03:49 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Just get the owners manual out and see what it calls for. Trans and coolant are not needed till well past 100K so your probalby still in the check filters/rotate tires, inexpensive items!

Old 03-21-23, 04:32 AM
Group Moderator
And avoid any place that uses the term "tune-up" on a vehicle with 75k miles on it. There's really nothing to tune-up; even spark plug replacement is typically 120 k miles now. As Marq says, the owners manual will tell you or you can probably look up a maintenance schedule on-line as well.

My sister calls me like clockwork every time she gets an oil change. The favorite up-sell is air cleaner filter. They show her the old one (slightly off-white color) and a new one (bright white). Problem is, the new one will look just like that off-white one inside 30 days.

Old 03-21-23, 06:37 AM
Received 61 Upvotes on 52 Posts
1. battery. Good battery will run car stereo AND powered subwoofer for .... long time. Ask any teenager who had a girlfriend with him somewhere on secluded parking lot. 4-5 hrs music. But... did you check, if your key is in position, usually II or Aux, that allows HVAC to run? As THAT will eat through the battery fast. Also, check and clean battery posts and cable terminals. Otherwise - either battery does not hold charge or, you have serious drain somewhere.
2. as everyone else said - simply follow manufacturer maintenance schedule. Do NOT do anything that is NOT on it as, usually, that's how dealer make extra profit. Of course, unless something broke.

Old 03-21-23, 09:16 AM
The favorite up-sell is air cleaner filter. They show her the old one (slightly off-white color) and a new one (bright white).
The few times I have taken my car in due to crappy winter weather they have done that, I just tell them thanks, it's working!

What I find amusing is that they typ dont say anything, just show it to you, and wait for your response! Same thing with other fluids, a tray with new clean fluids and drops of your fluids to compare, means nothing!

Old 03-21-23, 11:01 AM
N
Thanks all. Just an update on the battery; as someone mentioned above " Any parts store will run this for free (they hope when you need a battery, you'll buy theirs)." I went to one of those chains near my town and while they do run the tests for free, they wouldn't do so (understandably I guess) since apparently the battery on my enclave is located beneath the floor behind the passenger seat...

I guess I'll have to ask the mechanic to test it out...

Other than that I'll just be doing the oil change (I change my own cabin air filter periodically, but yeah, I always turn down those kinds of things if they offer.)

Old 03-22-23, 04:26 AM
Group Moderator
Don't think I've had to jump an Enclave. Parts store wasn't very customer-service-oriented. Me, I would have run the test just as a courtesy. Makes no difference where the battery is, there would be an aux terminal under the hood; they just knew they couldn't sell a battery. Not my way of treating people.

Old 03-22-23, 05:25 AM
N
Thanks and yeah, I even pointed out the terminals under the hood, but he said he needed to see the actual battery. Oh well, not going back there again.

Old 03-22-23, 05:44 AM
Its in the floor behind the passenger seat in an easy to get to location, probably easier than under many hoods, why wont they take a look?

Old 03-22-23, 06:06 AM
N
Not exactly sure. The guy didn't look thrilled in the first place having to walk outside. Took one look under the hood (which of course he also had a hard time opening the latch after I popped it), and said he can't test batteries that aren't under the hood, sorry to have wasted my time.

Maybe it's better that he didn't touch my battery anyway...

Old 03-22-23, 08:57 AM
The guy didn't look thrilled in the first place having to walk outside
Wow, to think you had to go outside where the cars are. I think I'd be finding a different place to make future purchases.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: