Leaking antifreeze

Old 07-12-01, 05:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

My wife has a 95 chevy corsica that is pouring antifreeze out of what appears to be a drain hose coming out of the firewall. I've tried to identify what this hose is for and if it is part of the heater core. She has a 2.2ltr 4 cylinder engine. I haven't been able to locate what the cause of the leak is for sure and need some help with that and what that hose could be. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-01, 05:25 PM
Group Moderator
The open hose on the fire wall is to drain away water that the ac evaporator creates; if there is coolant coming out rather than clear water, the heater core is likely shot.

Old 07-12-01, 05:27 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Probably a heater hose. If you had a bad core, you would get steam on the windshield when using the defroster and likely green stains on the carpet.

Old 07-12-01, 05:29 PM
Group Moderator
P.S. I'm not familiar with the heater core layout in a Corsica, but generally speaking heater cores are NOT fun jobs.

Old 01-19-03, 07:08 PM
ewmurray
Visiting Guest
Unhappy heaters core or something leaking

My wife 1989 mercury cougar has steam on the windshield and coolant on the floor, and i was told it was the heater core. he wanted $300.00 labor to fix it.so by me being do-it-yourselfer i bought some stop leak,and it still leak, so i think i would try a bit more, and some black pepper.

Old 01-19-03, 07:16 PM
otter_
Visiting Guest
stop gap at best. clog your cooling system at worst. There is no such thing as mechanic in a can, or a pepper grinder for that matter.

Re: corsica. Labour cost will be high as pretty much most of the dash has to be disassembled to get at the core.

Old 01-20-03, 04:37 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I agree with Otter 100%. No "man" in a can .

In fact, Counterman magazine did a special article on chemicals and sealant and such and said exactly what we are saying here .

Search this Thread