Annoying engine sound

Old 12-01-23, 06:50 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Annoying engine sound

I have a 2012 Honda Accord, 150K miles, and recently I started to hear a noise that I can only describe as listening to a hand mixer on low. I brought it to my mechanic for brakes and asked if he could check. He could nor find an problem. To test if it was the engine or transmission, I put the car in neutral down a hill and the sound remained constant. Mechanic said wheel bearings are fine.
It's one of those annoying noises that I can hide with the radio turned up, but that isn't a solution.
Any advice?
thank you

Old 12-01-23, 06:59 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,107 Upvotes on 1,886 Posts
"...one of those annoying noises that I can hide with the radio..."
It sounds like (pun intended) you've solved the problem.

But, If you've had it to a mechanic and they can't hear the sound I doubt posting online is going to help much. It's pretty much up to you to pay attention and try to get more information. Maybe have someone else ride in the car with you. Or, be in the car with the mechanic during a drive to point out the sound.

Other than that I'd pop the hood and check to make sure all the fluids are at the proper level. You can also look under the hood with the engine running. Mechanics will often use a stethoscope or or long rod placed on different parts of the engine to locate the source. I would start by looking at the belt tensioner and/or belt pulley's. It could also be the power steering pump or AC compressor (even if it's not on). Basically anything that's turning or has a bearing could make that noise.

Old 12-01-23, 09:33 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The issue isn't that he couldn't hear it, he heard it, he just could not figure out where it was coming from. As I noted above, I don't believe its an engine noise. The sound slows down when the car slows down. to try and isolate the sound, I placed the car in neutral and as roll down a hill it continues. It's just annoying becuase it came out of nowhere. Maybe it happens at 150K miles??

Old 12-01-23, 09:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 241 Upvotes on 194 Posts
CV joint maybe? Ever had them replaced? But of course a mechanic would have thought of that I'm sure.

Old 12-01-23, 10:57 AM
A
Received 110 Upvotes on 95 Posts
I would guess wheel bearing if its making noise at speed but completely goes away when you come to a stop.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: