How to fill in score on glass

Old 12-06-23, 10:54 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to fill in score on glass

I was cutting window tinting film on my new 2024 Honda and found out the hard way that utility knife blades leave scores on car windows! I wanted to scream! I not have about a 3 inch score on my back window and a 4 inch score on one of my side back windows. There must be some sort of glass filler product.

Old 12-07-23, 07:06 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,107 Upvotes on 1,886 Posts
Oooh, that's not good. There is no filler for surface scratches. There are products (glue) used to repair broken windshield glass. About the only thing you can do to a scratch on the surface is polish it out which will be a very tedious job since I assume your scratches are very near the edge of the window.

Old 12-07-23, 07:31 AM
Received 61 Upvotes on 52 Posts
Bad news. You have to degrease it perfectly, perfectly, and fill with resin, used for cracks repair. Acrylic resin. It'll still show.
If you polish glass, a) good luck finding polishing material that will not leave marks after and b) you'll create a lens and THAT will be much worse, than a score. Ask me how I know.
Someone suggested to simply take it to a glass repair place. They might have some tricks. And equipment.

Old 12-07-23, 08:16 AM
A

I'm gonna give Rain-X Fix a Windshield Repair Kit a try. It's a resin. You fill it in, place a clear strip over it, let it set in the sun, then scrape off the residual with a razor blade. The scratches are not very visible since they run exactly where the tinting ends. I'm mainly worried that scores might turn into cracks.

The car is 3 days old. Not sure why I would have to 'degrease' it.

Old 12-07-23, 10:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,899 Upvotes on 1,705 Posts

with a razor blade.

This is how your problem started. Razor blades scratch tempered glass!

Old 12-07-23, 12:19 PM
A
Actually, razor blades do not scratch the glass. It's only the utility knife blade that scratched it. I always thought that you needed a diamond-tipped blade to score glass. I don't know how else you cut film. It's supposed to be cut from the outside part of the glass and ON the glass.

Old 12-07-23, 10:57 PM
A
I tried Rain X Windshield Repair. It fills in the crack -- I cannot feel the lines to touch but it doesn't hide the lines at all. Fortunately, the lines match up with the tinting on the rear window. If you didn't know where to look, you wouldn't notice. The other 4" line is on the passenger-side rear window and is visible.

I'm not sure if a score in the glass can lead to cracking. If so, hopefully, this Rain X treatment will prevent that from happening. They claim that it's stronger than the glass itself.

Old 12-08-23, 07:30 AM
Received 61 Upvotes on 52 Posts
Good. My prediction is, though, as I had several cracks resined before, it will start showing with time. My suggestion is, train your mind to not look at those areas. And I'm serious.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: