Does Synthetic Oil Really Last Longer?

Old 02-21-24, 10:38 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 279 Upvotes on 255 Posts
Does Synthetic Oil Really Last Longer?

Some dirt gets into the engine and ends up floating in the oli and causing abrasive wear inside the engine. The same dirt gets in with synthetic oil as with ordinary oil. So shouldn't the synthetic oil be drained and changed at the same intervals as ordinary oil?

Old 02-21-24, 12:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,923 Upvotes on 1,727 Posts
That's what your oil filter is for. I change mine at 10,000.

Old 02-21-24, 01:21 PM
T
Received 110 Upvotes on 98 Posts
As XSleeper noted, the oil filter is there to remove contaminants. Synthetic oil filters are designed to last longer and capture additional stuff. Always use a synthetic oil filter with synthetic oil.

Old 02-21-24, 01:41 PM
C
Received 173 Upvotes on 141 Posts
It's not so much the "dirt" in the oil that makes it necessary to change the oil, it's when the oil begins to chemically break down and lose it's ability to provide proper lubrication, or when corrosive contaminants build up too much. Good synthetic oils provide adequate lubrication for longer periods and resist the buildup of corrosive contaminants for longer than conventional oils. That's why the oil change interval can be longer.

Old 02-21-24, 07:21 PM
Received 63 Upvotes on 54 Posts
"dirt" should not be getting into the engine to start with.
I vouch that synth oil lasts longer.

iceman681 voted this post useful.
Old 02-22-24, 02:44 AM
R
Received 3 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I'm not a chemist but the consistent story I hear is that modern synthetic oil does resist breaking down better. Of course there's no downside to changing the oil sooner rather than later aside from the cost.

At some point I realized my old can-piercing oil-pouring spout and a can-piercing funnel I think I used once had become museum pieces - lol.

Old 02-22-24, 02:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
my old can-piercing oil-pouring spout and a can-piercing funnel I think I used once had become museum pieces
You must still be young, I used to use them a lot. Think I still have one somewhere. Back then we changed the oil every 2k and most oils were single weight.

5qts of oil and a cheap filter wasn't much over $1

Old 02-22-24, 06:05 AM
T
Received 110 Upvotes on 98 Posts
Some dirt gets into the engine and ends up floating in the oli and causing abrasive wear inside the engine. The same dirt gets in with synthetic oil as with ordinary oil. So shouldn't the synthetic oil be drained and changed at the same intervals as ordinary oil?
Allanj, theoretically yes. However, filters made for synthetic oil are designed to accept more contaminants so they can allow for longer use before replacement.

Old 02-22-24, 06:11 AM
Received 24 Upvotes on 19 Posts
I suggest you visit "Bob Is The Oil Guy" website and check their oil analysis posts.
Be prepared to spend some time there ......

Old 03-04-24, 09:33 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 279 Upvotes on 255 Posts
Thanks.

Old 03-26-24, 05:35 AM
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I've owned several Mercedes Benzes over the last 20+ years; they require synthetic oil (Mobil1 is recommended) and the recommended change interval is 1 year or 10,000 miles. Mercedes alternates the yearly oil changes as Service As and Service Bs, the former being an oil/filter change with a long list of "checks" of fluid levels and wear, what us Benz owners refer to as the "$300 oil change" (the B can be $600+ and replaces the cabin dust filter and brake fluid). I recently found a local non-dealership service station with MB-certified mechanics that charges about half the dealership prices so I gave it a try. In and out pretty quick I was happy to tell them I'd be back; then they told me that they recommend a 5000 mile oil change interval. I found it odd that they'd think they know better than MB but I was happy to tell them that I only put about 5000 miles a year on each car. Yeah, they recommend 5000 miles or 6 months. They can try to justify that premise with junk science all day long but having owned 12 MBs and driven many of them well out of warranty with no engine problems I smell arithmetic: charge half the price twice as often and you're collecting the same amount of money as the dealership!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: