Tools to start working on cars

Old 04-19-24, 11:04 AM
O
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Tools to start working on cars

I was wondering what tools you can recommend so I can start getting acclimated with automotive repair. I have a 2014 Kia Soul that has 130,000 miles on it. I'd like to be able to change fluids for starters. Maybe change the brake pads too? What's really feasible for starters?

Also, I saw some tools on Temu being sold for cheap that advertise that they're made from durable materials (ie, Chrome Vanadium Steel) so not sure if you can recommend any on there.

Thanks!

Old 04-19-24, 11:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 852 Upvotes on 747 Posts
I'm not familiar with tools from Temu. Harbor Freight had decent tools in their Pittsburg line.
Pretty much how I started out was by buying the tools as I needed them.
I've always found a repair manual handy but I assume today you can find most of what you need online.

orielonline voted this post useful.
Old 04-19-24, 11:20 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,228 Upvotes on 1,988 Posts
I would start with a set of box end wrenches and a socket set. For your car you'll need metric but many socket sets are available with Imperial/English and metric. It is sometimes cheaper to buy a larger socket set up front that includes both ANSI and metric than it is to buy separate Imperial and metric sets. So, do some price comparing.

orielonline voted this post useful.
Old 04-19-24, 01:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,050 Upvotes on 3,633 Posts
I would highly recommend steering clear of Temu. You can search that name followed by complaints.

Most of the home improvement stores carry very decent DIY tools in sets.

Old 04-19-24, 05:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 893 Upvotes on 754 Posts
Temu is good for cheap crap that you don't really care too much if it breaks. I would also recommend buying tools from big box home stores or Harbor Freight. You can also find good used tools at flea markets, yard/garage sales, or Facebook or Craigslist. I would not waste money on cheap impact wrenches as the cheaper ones are not worth the money. An inexpensive scan tool is also handy to diagnose check engine lights.

Old 04-21-24, 10:20 AM
O
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Pilot Dane There are many different "sets" but yes, Id rather just get a single set than buying tools separately and have to manage their storage. Can you recommend one in particular?

Old 04-21-24, 05:31 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 124 Upvotes on 107 Posts
would likely start with 1/4 and 3/8 drive socket sets and maybe lugnut socket set, 1/2 inch breaker bar or 1/2 inch impact, set of combination wrenches, have a kobalt set from lowes its been decent have also ordered a couple from amazon that wasn't really a brand name and they have been ok also.

Old 04-21-24, 08:04 PM
C
Received 25 Upvotes on 22 Posts
Alan73 mentions various wrench *drive* sizes (1/4, 3/8, 1/2) - these are the size of the fitting at the end of socket wrenches. Your Kia will need metric sockets and combination wrenches, though: lug nuts, the battery terminal fittings, spark plugs, etc will be sized in metric. So if you go to buy a socket set you’d need to choose metric sockets, altho the drive size will be imperial (the sizes Alan73 mentions). Hope that’s not too confusing.

Old 04-21-24, 09:08 PM
A
Received 124 Upvotes on 107 Posts
most of your socket sets still come with both standard and metric sockets but most vehicles are mostly metric for the most part I would still recommend having both standard and metric even though you may not need them on your kia as per spark plugs the 5/8 and 16mm are basicly the same size so if you get a common 5/8 plug socket in your set it will likely work fine on 16mm or 5/8 sparkplugs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: