2001 vw jetta crank no start

Old 05-12-24, 11:29 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
2001 vw jetta crank no start

I inherited a 2001 Jetta that needs a new catalytic converter. I wasn't driving it due to acceleration issues, but had a float charger connected to keep the battery alive. The float charger met with an untimely death, & as a result, the battery fully discharged. The battery remained discharged for approximately 3 months. I put a conventional charger on the battery, & got it to crank, but no start. I had become accustomed to quietly hearing the fuel pump engage, but don't hear that anymore. After several attempts to start the vehicle, I was finally able to experience the engine make a weak attempt to start, & could smell the presence of fuel. Now, I'm back to the same scenario; crank, no start, & can't smell the presence of fuel. Did the discharged battery length of time have any effect at what I'm experiencing? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as to what possibly is at play here.

Top Answer

05-13-24, 07:19 AM
alan73
Upvotes: 0
Received 124 Upvotes on 107 Posts
would likely replace the battery for a starting point and then see if it starts maybe pull a spark plug and see if it smells like gas have seen a few plugged converters cause a no start often you can remove the upstream o2 sensor and see if it starts then to see if the converter is causing it.

Old 05-13-24, 07:19 AM
A
would likely replace the battery for a starting point and then see if it starts maybe pull a spark plug and see if it smells like gas have seen a few plugged converters cause a no start often you can remove the upstream o2 sensor and see if it starts then to see if the converter is causing it.

CircuitBreaker, jrsick voted this post useful.
Old 05-13-24, 09:46 AM
B
Prior to the float charger meeting with an untimely death, I would start the car weekly & drive it around the neighborhood, avoiding roads requiring acceleration beyond 45MPH. For what it's worth, the KEY FOB battery had also died. Does the transponder in the FOB function independently of the FOB's alarm & door opening capabilities? After the FOB battery was replaced, it successfully performs all functions. Could the transponder have become deprogrammed? Could a fuel pump relay have gone bad?

Old 05-13-24, 11:11 AM
W
Received 6 Upvotes on 4 Posts
You might have a couple of issues, but I don't think the key fob is one of them. Sounds like you need a new battery and you may be dealing with bad gas. It sounds like the car has sat around for a while and gas can go bad in a few months. You might have sucked bad gas into the system. I would start with replacing the battery. There are so many issues cause with weak or dead batteries.

Old 05-14-24, 03:30 PM
B
I replaced the battery, but still no start; no presence of gas on the plug; & pulling the O2 Sensor didn't change the no start condition.

The fuel pump fuse checks out, the fuel pump relay clicks when I turn the key to the on position (I know there's a better way to check it), there's good ground at the fuel pump, but there's no voltage at the fuel pump, with the key in the on position.

Several years ago, when the car belonged to my stepson, we replaced the crankshaft position sensor to resolve the same issue. Any other suggestions on what it might be? Also, I siphoned the remaining fuel & refilled the tank 1/2 way

Last edited by bobioni57; 05-14-24 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-14-24, 08:48 PM
A
probably need to check power to the fuel pump by having someone cycle the key on and off or while cranking the engine over it will only have power for a couple of seconds when you initially turn the key on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: