2018 Audi S5 about 90k miles. Ac not blowing cold.

Old 05-27-24, 10:22 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
2018 Audi S5 about 90k miles. Ac not blowing cold.

Sounds like compressor turns on/off when I turn AC on and off. Was going to check Freon and add if indicating low. However my concern is could there be a leak? Freon should never be low unless thereís a leak, correct? If itís a slow leak a recharge may hold me over for awhile. However, the AC has been working fine up until last Friday. If there a slow leak, would the AC suddenly not blow cold? Or would I notice a gradual change? Air coming out seems slightly cooler than air temp. Not hot, not cold.

Old 05-27-24, 12:06 PM
B
Received 314 Upvotes on 277 Posts
A fast leak loses refrigerant faster than a slow leak, but in both cases all refrigerant is lost. Suggest you take it to an AC shop

Old 06-07-24, 03:19 PM
D
Freon recharge lasted about a week. Was hoping it was a really slow leak. Hesitant to take to mechanic or dealer and have it cost a fortune.

101k miles, canít imagine why AC would have a leak. Any common culprits I could check before taking in to repair shop?

Old 06-07-24, 03:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,103 Upvotes on 3,685 Posts
The most typical refrigerant loss location is the evaporator coil under the dash.
Check the condensate that drips under the car. See if it's oily.

You can recharge with a single can of refrigerant with leak dye and watch for the dye leak location.

Old 06-07-24, 09:14 PM
A
Received 126 Upvotes on 109 Posts
lots of places that could have a leak condenser, compressor or lines really do not see to many evaporators fail I would likely see a shop and have it diagnosed, it may cost a lot depending on what is leaking.

Old 06-10-24, 06:03 AM
D
Pjmax - my sons car is a 2012 Hyundai Elantra and has an AC issue. First problem noticed was condensation under the glove box in passenger cabin. He said whenever he made a hard left or went uphil suddenly the passengers feet would get wet. Now he said AC stopped blowing cold. I thought it may be blower motor sitting there, but donít know if itís a faulty motor or something else or both. See pic. Thanks!

Old 06-16-24, 08:37 AM
D
HYUNDAI Brought to mechanic. He said AC was coming on with blows in speeds 1-4, but blower not coming on. Blower only came on when tinted to 5,but AC then stopped working. He replaced blower motor resistor and changed clogged cabin filter and blew out clogged drain lines. All good now. Didnít know I could just replace a faulty resistor.

AUDI - also brought to mechanic. He said no Freon in system. Vacuumed system and performed leak down test. Passed test. Added dye, charged with 1.5 lb of Freon, ran ac and followed system with sniffer. Could not locate leak. Inspected with blue light, could find leak. He recommends just driving and follow up if leaks out again? He said the leak could have sealed itself with the additives? Advice?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: