Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1983 Mercedes 300sd Tachometer and gas gauge trouble

Visiting Guest

07-18-01, 06:48 PM   #1  
adiaw83
A while ago, my gas gauge died. It just remains all the way to the left where it normally would be when the car is off. When I turn the car on it just stays there. My tachometer is also messed up. It just jumps arond a lot. for instance if I turn on the heater, it will jump and then go back down again. The AC is also broken, there are these 2 differnt rattling noise. one of em seems o be coming from the trunk the other one from the tailpipe I think. The power locks are also broken. i thnk this is due to some vacum problems though. The leather trim around the console by the stereo is torn up due to someone stealing my stereo a while back. I know its a lot but if someone could tell me how to fix some or all of these things that would bea real help. Thanks a lot in advance.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-19-01, 07:58 AM   #2  
Joe_F
The trim has to be replaced/repaired by a reputable trim shop.

The gas gauge is probably a bad ground or a bad sending unit.

I would suggest you pick up a Haynes or Chilton manual for your car or if you can, a Mercedes Benz manual if you want to keep this old Benz.

Might want to think about trying to find one of equal year and model that is in better shape to start with and work with that. Might be cheaper in the long run!!

Visiting Guest

07-19-01, 01:50 PM   #3  
adiaw83
thanks for the help. Don't be fooled by the description though. the car is still in great shape and runs well. there are just many minor cosmetic and other problems with it.

Visiting Guest

07-19-01, 03:02 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Which, unfortunately on a Mercedes can nickel and dime you to death. Or dollar and hundred dollar you to death. Some parts for these cars are wickedly expensive!

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

07-20-01, 08:12 PM   #5  
You need to attack each problem individually.The door lock are vacuum opperated.Do to the age the vacuum leak could be anywhere.The diaphram in the doors rip and the plastic hoses crack with age.To repair it properly you'll need a vacuum pump and remove all the door panels.#2 The Tach should be mechanical driven off the front of the engine.Your vehicle is a big body 126 chassis or is it a smaller 123 chassis?I'll have to refer to my manual to find the year they went to a transducer.The point of origin should still be the same,on the front of the engine by the vacuum pump.The noises in the back of the car are probably the exhaust grommet are brocken and the exhaust is shaking.Mecedes makes a chassis manual and an engine manual.The chassis manual will have vacuum diagrams to repair the locking systems.The engine manual will have the tach info.You have a 115 engine providing that you vehicle is an SD.The fuel gauge could be the sending unit.There are three wires on the sending unit.One is the light for reserve,one is the gauge and the other is the referance.You can jump the wires and verify if it your gauge or the sending unit.Good Luck-These are really great cars.P.S. the A/C Could be anything but the hose coming of the compressor brakes from the vibration of the engine even on gasoline driven cars.When they were much younger than yours.

Visiting Guest

06-02-02, 11:45 AM   #6  
adiaw83
thanks for all that haven't been to the forum in a while

Search this Thread