blown gasket or cracked head ('82 Ford truck)

Old 09-04-01, 11:50 PM
I have an 82 Ford truck extended cab. 5.3 engine. (Is this the same as a 356 Cleavland? )
When it heats up, it emits steam like vapor from both exhaust pipes. I suspect a cracked head. I may be a little ignorant , but coming out both pipes has me a little confused unless both heads are cracked. Or both head gaskets. Where ever the crack/leak is, i assume when the engine heats up the crack widens and water/anti-freeze is getting to the plugs. Also, I assume I can check the plugs maybe and compression on the cylinders and find where the problem may be. My guestion is how can I determine if it is gaskets or heads? There does not seem to be any water or antifreeze in oil. Maybe the crack is not in the right place to allow this?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-01, 05:13 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Steam/water/antifreeze (it will smell sweet like syrup) is a blown head gasket.

Have the heads checked by a machine shop for cracks/warps. Change the gaskets. You should be ok. Give the truck a once over.

The engine in this truck is likely a 351 Modified or Windsor, and is a 5.8 liter engine.

The valve cover will have a decal with the engine size and type on this Ford. Or there will be a sticker under the hood stating the same.

Old 02-13-02, 02:40 AM
Steam/water/antifreeze (it will smell sweet like syrup) is a blown head gasket

No smell with a cracked head? If this so, the gaskets must be blown on this truck, since it does have the smell.

Also, what kind of trouble can I expect in replacing this engine with a 302 from a '77 Granada car?

tx

Last edited by boman; 02-13-02 at 02:56 AM.
Old 02-13-02, 03:47 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Worse things .

It has a 351 now, it will be painfully slow with a 77 302. Neither engine is very good in these years. Very emission ridden and bogged down with poor carburetion.

The motor doesn't need to be replaced. Do a top overhaul. Send the heads out to a machine shop and have them go through them and check for cracks or other problems. Install new gaskets, and should be good to go.

No 5.3 in this year. It is a 5.8, 351 cubic inch engine. The Cleveland engine is last used in 1974 or so, so it's not that in 1982 . Likely a 351 Windsor or a 351 Modified.

It's rare to see an old iron head truck like this blow a gasket, but it does happen.

Old 02-13-02, 04:00 AM
slow with a 77 302

Yea, what I thought too. Will really notice difference. Kinda thought I might do this exchange to get it on the road and get some usage from it. Not sure how well this will perform as far pulling a trailer load ( 16/18 ft. )of appliancesMaybe rebuild the big engine in the meantime, if rebuildable. Dad and son thing.

Am concerned about what changes have to be made. Starter, flywheel, distance from radiator, etc.

No 5.3 in this year. It is a 5.8, 351 cubic inch engine

My mistake. I had read the sticker, it just changed in my head from the time I read it to the time I posted. I like thie power of this engine, but it seems to me I hear some main bearing noise in it. Heck, it may just be the twin pipes throwing me off. I do feel like the heads need re-working. I hear some chatter from the rocker arms sometimes.

Tx

Old 02-13-02, 04:20 AM
No smell with a cracked head?

I guess this would depend on where the crack is in the head, if it is cracked?

poor carburetion

Guess that explains or may explain the trouble with the the carb losing its prime if left sitting not running for a while. Its been a while, but if I remeber correctly, it was real hard to start the first time of the day. Star fine for the rest of the day. I might ought to say, if not left sitting for several hours. Not sure if I ever let it sit that long the few times I drove it. For example, 8 hours or so.

Got a bran dnew set of replacement tires on it (about $500 value). Would kinda like to get it running and take advantage of that before they get flat places in them.

Old 02-13-02, 06:56 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
A remaned set of heads through the machine shop should be under 500 bucks on this.

If the truck is worth fixing, have the heads done and put new gaskets. Service the rest of the cooling system (belts, hoses, radiator flush, etc) and should be good to go.

Old 02-14-02, 02:30 AM
have the heads done and put new gaskets. Service the rest of the cooling system (belts, hoses, radiator flush, etc)

I may do that. The truck runs strong. Has a few areas of rust, but the suspension is good, no rattles,etc. Mauy make it a restoration project for my son I. He is a wanta-be mechanic and wants to move up at his job at a Ford dearship. He is an oil changer and tire warranty man/changer, and wants to be a technician/mechanic. Will end up with more in the truck then it is worth, I guess, but I will have a good truck, and he will have some experience.
The engine in this truck still runs strong, and I have reworked one truck from a book ('88 Mazda) about 7 years ago. It is still doing fine. I think we can handle this.
I deal in appliances and I will appreciate the power, hauling trailer full of old ones to scrap yard) and the cew cab in the long run.
Will let you know.

Tx

Old 02-14-02, 03:55 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Excellent idea! Let us know how it turns out.

I actually have a 1982 Ford emission manual for this thing if you are interested. A reasonable offer and off it goes to a good home Lol.