Hot start problem

Old 09-29-01, 02:47 PM
cozmos9
Visiting Guest
1. 91 Volvo 940 Turbo: Very difficult to start when engine is hot? Starts fine at home. In the grocery store for 15min. Will not start. Come back in 2 hrs. Starts ok.

2. 94 Nissan Quest: At low rpm, feels like not all cylinders are firing. Been about 1yr since tune-up. Currently 130k miles. All belts replace at about 95k.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-01, 09:23 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Volvo:

When it doesn't want to start, yank off an ignition wire at the plug and see if you have spark. If you don't, likely a bad ignition module.

Watch out. Some of those Volvo modules are big bucks, so make sure it is your problem....payback time for buying a foreign car .

Quest:

Need more information as to the problem...

For both cars, you should go to my post "The Basics" or to http://www.batauto.com and pull out your trouble codes if any exist.

Old 09-30-01, 04:19 PM
cozmos9
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply, Joe. I will see if there are sparks. As to your "The Basics", I've seen it on several posts and have been looking for it. It isn't easy, however. With you being a prolific poster, I have to search 1500+ posts to find it. The key word search doesn't seem to locate it, either. If there is a way for you to post a link, I'd appreciate it.

Old 09-30-01, 11:32 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I believe I have posted it more than once, that's why .

Brandon probably should make it a link or something.

If I get a chance, I'll try to make it a URL that's part of my signature.

I did it not too long ago and found it though!

Old 10-16-02, 09:30 PM
plummerbutt
Visiting Guest
There is a service bulliten on Volvos with hot starting issues which recommended checking the crank position sensor. Apparantly there was a run of this part which had a faulty lead wire which would increase resistance when hot and disrupt the signal.

Joe_F's recommendation on checking the spark is the first thing I would do, I have seen several instances where a bad coil caused the same type of symptoms you describe.

Good luck.

Old 10-18-02, 01:23 PM
cozmos9
Visiting Guest
I wish you had posted a few days earlier... I picked up my car yesterday from a service station. They charged me $760 to replace the crank position sensor & the distributor. Why the distributor, I wonder...

Thanks for the post. I hope this will save unnecessary repairs for someone else.

Old 10-20-02, 09:04 PM
plummerbutt
Visiting Guest
I'm glad to hear you were able to have it fixed. Had your 940 been 89 or earlier, the distributor replacement would be no surprise. On '89 & prior models Volvo used a Hall Sensor (same concept as the cps) which was mounted inside the distributor in lieu of the crank pos sensor (cps). The hall sensor was attached with pressed pins to two very delicate tabs which were part of the cast distributor housing & quite often they would break at the hands of the tech during replacement if he was not familiar with the arrangement. Oil leaking past the seals & bushing is the he most likely reason for dist. replacement on your 91, perhaps the parts required to rebuild the distributor were unavailable &/ or the expense when coupled with the labor charge was costly enough to warrant replacement. Perhaps a visit to the shop to have the tech explain the need for a replacement would help justify the added expense. If the shop is reputable they should be happy to explain the diagnosis. It is a considerable sum of $$ however $760 seems reasonable & within the norm. The majority of the bill was parts without a doubt.

Hopefully the next repair visit is many miles and far into the future.

Good luck in any case, Volvos don't break very often but they can get costly when they do.

Old 10-23-02, 02:16 PM
cozmos9
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the explanation. I feel better about the bill now.