Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

gas gauge - 83 delta 88 royale

10-04-01, 01:27 AM   #1  
I have an 83 Delta 88 Royale, with a gas gauge problem. When the tank if full, the needle registers just over a 1/4 of a tank. The needle stays there until the amount of gas drops below that amount. (I count my blessings, that I at least know when I'm getting low gas, and not have to count mileage). The tank recently sprung a leak, so I thought it would be a good time to fix the gauge (I assumed the problem had to do with the float, or sending unit). I replaced the tank and sending unit, but the gauge still behaves the same way. I've already asked oldsmobile about a new gauge for the dash, and I got laughed out of the parts department. they told me to try junk yards.. . err scuse me a 'salvage yard. Is it possible to troubleshoot, and fix my existing gauge? If not does anyone know if I an auto parts store would have a compatible gas guage? Any options, or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
joatmon (Jack Of All Trades Master Of None)

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-04-01, 05:23 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Call back the joker at the parts department and have the last laugh. Tell him the following:

The gauge is part #6433124 from GM and is still available for about 66 bucks. Also, an AC Delco jobber can order the part as well. It's the same gauge for most of the 1977 to 1990 B Series (Delta 88, Custom Cruiser) and Olds 98 up to 1984 (rear drive).

I hate when parts people laugh and don't look at the books. You'd be surprised what is still available!

The gauge or the wiring to it is likely bad. You can scout yards for the gauge. I stocked up on a few of 'em .

Visiting Guest

10-04-01, 05:24 AM   #3  
Joe_F
BTW: Delta 88 is a solid car.

I would know that, I own a 1984 Royale Brougham coupe with 141k on the clock. That is one solid and flawless car.

10-04-01, 06:19 AM   #4  
Joe-
thanks very much for giving me the last laugh. BTW - Can I still get other parts for instrument cluster?? like the printed circuit?? Mine is getting pretty brittle, and the 'night' lights don't work very reliably.

Yes the delta 88 is a real jem (aka 'the sofa on wheels' by my friends). Everyone laughs because I won't get rid of it. (I bought a 2000 dodge dakota back in March) But the darn thing has 120,000 plus miles on her and she purrs like a kitten. sure things go now and then - the gas tank, the starter, and water pump are recent repairs, but I'll bet I get 200,000+ miles easy.

and Finally,just want to say this is a great forum. Ironically, I read the posts about headliners, and the Delta's is just starting to fall down. I was going to try spray adhesives, etc. but now I know I need to take that puppy out, and have it relined; saving me time money and aggravation.
Thanks!! :-) :-D

Visiting Guest

10-04-01, 07:42 AM   #5  
Joe_F
Now that you can have the last laugh, it's likely the guy will look in the book for you ....but a lot is gone for these older cars, especially trim specific stuff.

I usually get whole clusters for a couple of ducats. 20 bucks a whole cluster is the norm depending on the yard. I will eventually try to swap in a Delta 88 dash with a trip odometer into my Olds .

Yes, this is one reliable car. I like mine a lot. I am only the 2nd owner of mine, my uncle bought it new in '84. My website (when it works) has more on them and me...

03-25-02, 06:05 PM   #6  
Okay, I'm pretty sure I've solved the problem, but it was very interesting how I got there. I pulled a gauge from a 77 cutlass supreme. The mechanism itself is identical to the one in my 83. . BUT. . .it's almost as if the polarity is exactly opposite the 83's gauge. on the 77 the gauge would point to 10:00 when empty, and 2:00 on full (top half of "the circle").

On my 83, the needle points to 8:00 when empty, and 4:00 when full (bottom half of "the circle"). So my dilemma was that if I switched the gauge, it would work backwards. (pretty cool - the more I drive the more gas I have :-D) So on the 77 the needle goes counter-clockwise as it empties out, and on the 83 the needle moved clockwise.

Here's where it gets really interesting. On the back of both gauges, there are three threaded posts which plug into the dash. two on the top, and one on the bottom, forming a triangle. Bolted onto the two top posts is a rectangular piece of ceramic. For lack of any other ideas, I thought flipping the ceramic piece around might change the polarity on the '77's gauge. that didn't help.

What did help was swapping the ceramic pieces from the 77 with the 83's. From what I gather, the ceramic piece must act as some type of resistor. One side of the ceramic piece has some black stuff painted between the two holes where the posts come through, and also there is a small piece of green plastic that looks like a circuit board.

On the 83 that black stuff was worn away no one side. On the 77's it was less damaged.

In the end, I took the ceramic piece from the 77's gauge, and put it on the gauge from my 83, and the needs now travels all the way from full to empty.

Is there a gas gauge engineer in the room? I would love to hear from anyone who has had the same experience as I have, or may have some insight on this.

Final question:
Any idea why the 77's gauge works exactly opposite the 83's even though they look the same, or how to change it?

Visiting Guest

03-26-02, 05:22 AM   #7  
Joe_F
Has to do with the float in the tank or the board on the dash.

Don't know why you just didn't use a 77 and up B body (or C,D body) Olds gauge. There are PLENTY of them in the yards. My local yard had tons of them. I would have my pick of the lot . I avoid trouble and just get the right parts . Easier that way.

As I recall, any B body (Delta 88, Custom Cruiser) gauge from 1977 to 1990 that's from a Rear wheel drive will work. The part is also about 66 bucks new from GM, less through AC Delco.

I guess I've been into rear wheel drive GMs a long time and just know what fits what .

BTW: 143k on my 84 Olds 88 and still going strong .

Search this Thread