1994 Dodge Ram 2500HD 4x4

Old 10-10-01, 03:14 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I want to replace lower ball joints,on my truck,does anyone knows how to remove the steering knuckle from the axle yoke,this has a Dana 60 front axle.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-01, 03:39 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Suggest you pick up a repair manual on this one. Try the library and borrow a copy.

I thought I saw an article by Dana Spicer (they are new to the chassis parts market) on this. Might want to contact them.

Old 01-11-07, 05:33 PM
themechanic43

Big job if you're not experienced. Also you need special tools to do it right.You might be able to rent them. First remove the large cotter pin and nut from the axle. the hub flange has a hole between 2 of the lug studs.Use this to remobe the nuts holding the hub/bearing assy to the spindle.Then use a suitable hub/axle puller to remove the hub/bearing assy.now you should be able to remove the axle shaft. on the side with the axle disconnect,you will have to remove the disconnect cover assy from the top of the axle housing to get it back together right.With the axles removed, you can remove the nuts from the ball joints and with (again) a suitable puller,remove the spindle yoke from the axle housing. Now you can press in new ball joints with a suitable press/puller/installer.You might as well change the upper and lowers since you are this deep into it.Note:if your truck appears pigeon toed like those stupid old fords,there are offset camber ball joints available. Good Luck.