tap sound in the morning

Old 10-22-01, 02:06 AM
royalet
Visiting Guest
I have a 94 towncar and it tends to tap in the mornings when i satrt it up, and it goes away when she gets warm, can anyone tell my why this is, and is their something i can do to stop this

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-01, 05:58 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Usually lifter or valve train noise.

Usually goes away after a while. If the car has been sitting for a length of time, the lifters will "bleed down" and cause that.

Leave it alone A good part of the engine has to come apart to silence it. Try using a bit of Marvel Mystery oil to help ungum the works. If the engine's oil was not regularly changed, valve noise can develop.

Old 10-22-01, 06:17 AM
royalet
Visiting Guest
Thanks, should i try to do an engine flush on the next oil change, and maybe some synthetics

Old 10-22-01, 12:16 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ford 4.6=Notorious for oil problems, not limited to tapping, rapping and burning (oil). Lol

The early ones were pretty bad

I would just keep changing the oil to flush it clean. Also try some Marvel mystery oil, it might quiet it down bit.

Check alldata.com for any known bulletins in this regard.

Old 10-23-01, 02:45 AM
royalet
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Old 02-09-02, 08:17 PM
trendar
Visiting Guest
I've been looking at an 88 Merkur Scorpio that developed hydraulic valve lifter noise after an overly long oil change interval-

The lifters tap loudly cold, but after warming up for some time at low rpms, it quiets down. I figured it was due to stuck lifters-

However, after a period of constant higher rpm running, such as on the highway, the tapping resurfaces.

I guess the cold lifter noise to be from an overly fast bleed down rate, but would the symptom of the tapping from a high speed run also be due to this?

I can't figure out why the tappet noise would occur on highway speed operation; does the constant running not allow the lifters to build up as much pressure as slow speed running?

Tried a motor flush and the MMO treatment, and three oil changes so far, and it hasn't diminished.

The shop manual details an adjustment for valve clearance; could this cause this type of symptom if it's out of adjustment?

It's been relegated to short around-town driving for now-

Old 02-09-02, 08:19 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What does an oil pressure check with a gauge reveal?

Old 02-09-02, 08:35 PM
trendar
Visiting Guest
I haven't taken a reading yet, but I'll do that next chance I get- from what I recall, the Scorpios tend to be a bit un-Ford like in that the normal pressure isn't very high.

I'll try to get some info on the pressure- if it's low, maybe junk caught in a bypass valve? I guess that'd be preferable to a lifter problem or clogged oil passage somewhere..

Thanks!