replacing exhaust on '94 Tercel

Old 12-05-01, 10:32 AM
bledsoe
Visiting Guest
Question replacing exhaust on '94 Tercel

Quick question: I haven't replaced an exhaust before, but I'm going to replace some parts on a '94 toyota tercel. Forgive my terminology here, but the parts I plan on replacing are: the pipe from the exhaust manifold to the cat, the pipe from the cat to the muffler, and maybe the muffler and tailpipe. I'm doing this because there's a crack in the pipe from the exhaust manifold to the cat and the other pipe doesn't look healthy. My question is: since I haven't done this before, will I have trouble getting at the exhaust manifold to replace that first pipe? (i haven't been under the car yet to take a look)

Thanks guys! and while I'm at it, would you recommend replacing the muffler and tailpipe while I'm under there? I could save a few bucks by not replacing them, but it is a '94 with 100K miles on it, so I'm guessing it will need to be replaced soon.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-01, 11:15 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Replace it all, and use good quality aftermarket (Walker, AP brand) parts or Toyota parts. If one's gone, the rest are not far behind. The rot in the front flex pipe is common on many Japanese cars.

This can be a bear to do without air tools or a torch. Things get rusted on and it turns into a Howdy Doody very quickly.

Suggest you also get prices from muffler shops on the job and compare that to the price of the parts....might be cheaper to farm out when it's all said and done.

Old 12-05-01, 11:21 AM
bledsoe
Visiting Guest
Thanks Joe. I'm assuming the "front flex pipe" is the one from the exhaust manifold to the cat? Aside from having trouble with rust, will I have trouble just getting at the exhaust manifold to get that end off? I'm not sure how "hidden" that is on this car. I was hoping you guys would know. Midas gave me a quote of $309 and the parts store told me I could get everything for under $100. That's why I want to do this myself. Thanks

Old 12-05-01, 01:07 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
A couple of things:

1) I don't want to even know of the quality of parts they're going to sell you for 100 bucks or under . Likely a universal fit and you're going to have to adjust and cut, not fun for a first time project

2) The flex pipe is the one that goes to the cat in front. Those are a bit pricey, even aftermarket. They usually have a metal weaved flex built into the pipe. I can't see that being included in the 100 bucks from the parts store. My friend bought one for his 1990 Camry at work and it alone was 200 or more from Toyota.

3) Problem comes in with the studs on the manifold breaking and the nuts rusting in place. Heat from a torch or a compressor is needed to help get the suckers out. That's why I say no air=better off getting it done to avoid frustration.

Now that I have my compressor, I will be doing more exhaust work of my own. I had the muffler and pipe to the muffler done on my 84 Olds by someone I know with a muffler shop. 80 bucks installed. I probably couldn't buy all the parts that cheap even with my sources .

Check around other independent shops and muffler places. You went to one Midas, and that may be the anomaly as far as the price is concerned.

Ask the parts store to check again. If the parts aren't Walker or AP and aren't direct fit parts, forget it .

Old 12-06-01, 12:23 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
Here's my 2 cents--last toyota I had (89 4x4 truck) developed a crack in the "head" pipe or "flex" pipe Joe speaks of. The tail pipe fell off long before this and the muffler was ok. Being a truck I left it with no tail pipe--can't do that with a car--anyway Toyota puts quite a bit of stainless in the head pipe and it was not rusted just cracked! I welded it and never had a problem with it--traded the truck in at 135,000 miles. Look at yours if it is cracked but not rusted real bad--it can be welded!!

Old 12-06-01, 04:52 AM
bledsoe
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys! I'll let you know what happens...

Old 12-06-01, 05:42 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
He he. The "Redneck" solution .

Make sure someone competent welds it. Exhaust leaks can be fatal and they rob power and waste fuel.

Old 12-06-01, 06:40 AM
xiii13
Visiting Guest
Joes right. If you don't have the proper tools it is a bear to fix. My sister has a '94 Tercel and we went this route in '98. We went to several shops and got qoutes from $150 to $800. Finally settled on Meineke for $250 and that included the cat. We replaced everything from the manifold back. All parts came with a lifetime warranty, except the cat. I changed her oil last week and looked at the exhaust and it was as good as new. I priced out the parts to do it myself and it was around $250, of course that was in '98.

Old 01-28-02, 08:20 AM
bledsoe
Visiting Guest
finally!

Ok, the job is done. I agree with you guys that I should've replaced everything, but it's my bro's car and he is CHEAP! So I ended up replacing just the front flex pipe and gaskets. I couldn't have done this job without a torch due to all the rot on the bracket holding the pipe onto the cat. Joe pointed that out above and he was right. Aside from the torch job, it was pretty easy. Thanks for you help. One last question - Joe mentioned he could've done the job with a torch or air compressor. How would a compressor help in this situation?

thanks

Old 01-28-02, 09:14 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Air is powerful.

I would use the force of the air to blow the rusted nuts to pieces .

A torch works best as it cuts the rotted part in half.

You can also use a sawzall to cut old pipe and slice the rotten clamps. A cut off "whiz" wheel on an air cutoff tool is great for exhaust work.

The power of air breaks things loose like they are butter .

Search this Thread