F150 transmission trouble

Old 12-16-01, 04:30 AM
Angry F150 transmission trouble

My '92 F150, automatic transmission and 300cid six with 148K miles, must be one of a kind (total electronic transmission I'm told)! The transmission failed (only first gear would work). The mechanic first replaced the solenoid valve pack.... the solenoid promptly burnt up, tried another valve pack.... still no good. A crack in the housing was then diagnosed so a rebuilt transmission was installed which wouldn't shift properly. The torque converter was replaced with no improvement. The mechanic decided there was to much play in the differential so it was replaced.... guess what, that didn't solve the problem either! A call to the tech's where the rebuilt transmission was obtained resulted in a 'new design' valve pack being installed. Still didn't consistently shift properly and after 25 miles the transmission promptly lunched it's gears.

As I wait for another transmission, do you have any suggestions on what to try next?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-01, 11:47 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
A new mechanic! Whoa Nelley!

This guy is changing too many parts at your expense.

Make sure a new torque converter is used. Old fluid in a new torque converter (or reusing a bad one) will give these woes.

Also, who rebuilt the transmission? Should up the ante for a Ford reman. one. Better off and has all the latest and greatest parts in it.

Old 12-16-01, 01:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
One common problem with rearwheel overdrive transmission replacements on Fords is that often times, the mechanic doesn't flush the transmission cooler and lines. The valve body is very intolerant of trash / debris in the fluid. Make sure the system is flushed before the unit is replaced, even if it did get flushed before. I also agree with Joe....new mechanic, or make him make good on his work, or money back. Change torque converter too, like Joe said. Lots of small-time mechanics don't realize how picky these Ford trannys can be.

Old 12-16-01, 01:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I just noticed in your original post that you said he did change the torque converter, but it sounds like he changed it after the tranny was replaced. By then, the damage was done. The trash already got into the system when the old one was tried first. Now that your rebuilt tranny is toasted, there is trash in the new converter too. Make sure that issue is also addressed to avoid problems with the next tranny. Sounds like your mechanic is grasping in the dark.

Old 12-18-01, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the advice guys,
There's now another transmission in, but I'm not testing this one (that's left me stranded twice already). I'm not taking it 'til it's been thoroughly road tested by the mechanic!

ps He's picking up the tab for the torque converter and differential (boy that type of education can become expensive.... and not just for ME !

Old 12-19-01, 02:04 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Let us know the outcome....

Old 03-31-02, 07:16 AM
F150 transmission update

Truck now has a tune-up, new torque converter, good rebuilt transmission, and rebuilt differential. It's running great, EXCEPT at exactly 82 MPH it's like hitting the coast button if you were in cruise control. Once you slow down a bit everything is normal. Any thoughts on what might be causing this (my mechanic certainly doesn't.... his best guess is MAYBE a computer chip)!?

p.s. I know 82 MPH is a bit fast but, with semi's on the interstate running 90, this can be a bit unnerving.

Old 04-01-02, 04:49 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I'd stop bringing my vehicles to guys who guess too much. It gets expensive time wise and aggravation wise even when they don't charge you!

That being said, check www.alldata.com for any known bulletins that might match this problem.

Let us know what you find.