Antilock brakes

Old 12-27-01, 05:51 AM
Question Antilock brakes

Just a quick question to put my mind at ease. I have a 98 Prizm that I just got in May of 2001. Well, last week we were coming to a stop sign on a very rough road. When I hit the brakes, we heard a loud noise like a cable or thick spring being plucked. Scared us both to death!

It hadn't happened again until the first snow fall. We took a side road and when I started to brake, the same loud noise happened again.

I called the Chevy dealer and told him about it. He said, "First time you ever had ABS? That noise is the module engaging, then if the skid is long enough you'll hear the tap-tap-tap of the tires braking independently." Which we did later that day.

My question is this: Do ABS engage on any and every stop that might have a skid, even a small one? Seems like mine is awful sensitive to skidding. Is that normal?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-01, 06:04 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Dealer is right.

If you come abruptly to stops as a habit, the anti lock will kick in .

It is the module pulsating the brakes rapidly to slow it down and avoid locking and skidding.

More pronounced in bad weather.

Old 01-10-02, 05:45 AM
Thanks, that's what we thought. We probably didn't notice it because we are slow to stop.

Now, another question: We just noticed yesterday that we are getting a very slight sound from the brakes that reminds of us the "plucking-spring" sound when the module engages. It happens only once a trip though the very first time you put the car in gear and LET UP on the brake. It's very slight, but it is definitely there. Why should it happen only once a trip? and why on the upstroke of the brake? Oh, and what is it?

Thanks

Old 01-10-02, 05:48 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Probably the ABS module doing a self check if it happens only the first time. My Saturn does that. It is normal.

What does your owner's manual say about it?

Old 01-18-02, 10:45 AM
Thank you!

Search this Thread