oxygen sensor 5.7 chevy

Old 12-31-01, 09:47 AM
oxygen sensor 5.7 chevy

Hey all! I recently was out in the field and ran over a large frozen dirt clod, which surprisingly killed the engine. when I tried to start it back up it took 3 tries to get it started, and then I realized I had an exhaust leak. I didnt think it was THAT big of a clod, heck Id been thru that area 3 times before that day. Anyway, I crawled under the truck thinking the worst and soon discovered that the exhaust pipe was slightly pushed back and the oxygen sensor{?} was very close to the shield under there, it looked as if maybe the wires {its a 4 wire sensor}had been crimped a little. On the way home the truck jerked a few times like it died for a split second, and now it takes a couple of tries to get it started each time. My service engine light is on, but its been coming on and off for a couple weeks now, allthough its stayed on constantly since the clod crash..Im 95% sure the oxygen sensor needs replaced, but I thought Id run this by before I spent the $80 napa wants for a new one. Its a 5.7 chevy, 1996

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-01, 10:24 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yup, especially if you bent the pipe it probably cracked the sensor or pinched the wires.

Find a store that stocks AC Delco and buy their sensor. Probably cheaper.

Old 01-26-02, 01:38 PM
Just a note to inform you all what i found out. i got a bosch oxygen sensor at autozone which was $30 cheaper that at napa, replaced it , still had idling trouble, then discovered that I had a blown fuse that supplies voltage to the air flow sensor, replaced fuse and problem solved! No more check engine light, engine starts and runs great! The oxygen sensor was cracked and the wires were crimped, so I guess it blew the fuse when I ran over the frozen dirt clod...