Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Water in car

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-03-02, 07:27 AM   #1  
Water in car

My 1989 Camry wagon gets wet under the driver's seat whenever we get rainy weather. Last year I had my mechanic check out the body underneath, and he found nothing. This year the same thing is happening, even when the car remains parked. There is no wetness along the side panels, nor on the front carpet by the brake and accelerator panels. I've been told that it could be a leak from the windshield or the antenna, and that it drips down unseen, until it reaches the carpet. Any advice? Should I check the windshield for a split and caulk (myself?)? How about the retractable antenna?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-03-02, 07:33 AM   #2  
rs_petty
sunroof

Do you have a sunroof? Water could be coming through there and then down the pillar. I would suspect something around your door. My only recommendation is let it dry out and then using a hose flood the roof and see if you get a leak anywhere.

Visiting Guest

01-03-02, 07:56 AM   #3  
Joe_F
I agree.

You're going to have to see where its coming from. Water leaks can be a PITA to find.

Use the hose to try and duplicate the leak.

Visiting Guest

01-03-02, 09:13 AM   #4  
darrell McCoy
Joe's right on leaks like that being a PITA. seen some strange ones. Check body joints and welds around doors, rocker panels BTW look under the hood on firewall. vent behind hood. (Seams) plus underneath again. Had one that ran me nuts on a guys pontiac. A pin hole in the windshield post.

Visiting Guest

01-06-02, 05:52 PM   #5  
merlo
If you have trouble locating the leak after using a hose, you might try pulling back the carpet near the brake and accelerator pedals and check the carpet padding for wetness. I've seen some leaks where the surface of the carpet will be dry, but the padding underneath will be soaked.This could give you some indication of the direction the leak is coming from.If you determine that its coming from the windshield, I would recommend that you take the car to a professional auto glass shop so that the correct procedures and sealant can be used.But I agree with the others that it really could be coming from anywhere.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-08-02, 01:45 PM   #6  
water in car

Have your doors checked. Friends car always leaked thought it was a faulty window installation but it was leaking in through the door pannels.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-14-02, 01:21 PM   #7  
Water Leak

Well, it turns out that my "leak" on my front and rear carpet on the driver's side is due to either a leaky heater core and/or hose connection. I dried out the area TWICE, then added coolant to the radiator and overflow tank. The weather also changed from rainy to dry and sunny. After several days, the moisture returned to the affected areas, and my overflow tank was empty of coolant. I spoke with my mechanic, and he says that it probably is the core or a hose connection. Bringing the car in tomorrow. Thanks for all of your help!

Visiting Guest

01-14-02, 02:56 PM   #8  
Joe_F
Makes sense.

However, you didn't tell us the leak was sticky, green and sweet smelling. We would have put two and two together .

At least it's figured out.

Search this Thread