92 ford taurus...no start...???

Old 01-06-02, 07:52 AM
gstring213
Visiting Guest
Unhappy 92 ford taurus...no start...???

hi...i have a 92 ford taurus that won't start. it has a 3.8L efi v6 engine...4 door...auto..
before it died it was making a loud clicking sound while driving...this would increase when it was accelerated...now when i try to start it , it just makes one loud click and the lights dim down to nothing. i have replaced the battery terminals as they were very bad but still nothing.
can anyone help? i am a single mom and cannot afford a mech. i am pretty good at fixing things myself once i know what the problem is.
thanks,
julie

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-02, 08:40 AM
Group Moderator
Unfortunately, sounds like your starter is gone. Loud clicking noise could have been from contact between the starter teeth and flywheel. That loud click when you turn the key is the starter solenoid closing to apply the power to the starter. You can try tapping on the starter housing with a small hammer or bar; sometimes that will get you going, but it is only a band-aid fix.

Old 01-06-02, 08:45 AM
Group Moderator
P.S. on that, could also be something more serious that has locked up the motor so that it won't turn over when the starter is engaged. Check back, Joe should be along to give some more insight, he's good with funny sounds, etc. Don't recall where the starter is on that motor or how hard to get off, but if you CAN get it off you should be able to get it tested at any good parts store.

Old 01-06-02, 08:48 AM
Group Moderator
On a side note: Be sure to have the transmission in that car serviced RELIGIOUSLY, Sables and Tauruses are bad for premature tranny failures. Ok, think I'm done now!

Old 01-06-02, 12:39 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Taurus SHO models were usually 3.0 or 3.2, not 3.8, but I could be mistaken there.

These are money sinkers unfortunately. Ford in my belief, fooled the public and just sold a more expensive Taurus .

I agree with Tow Guy. Make sure your connections are all sound. Then, tap on the starter with a hammer. If it now starts, you have a bad starter. Replace it with a rebuilt.

If you mean "knocking" which got louder as the engine accelerated, that could be a loose flywheel or as TowGuy suggested the engine starting to seize. Has this car had regular maintenance? Mileage? Any known engine troubles? Leaks? Recent repairs?

Old 01-06-02, 02:21 PM
gstring213
Visiting Guest
Question

hi again... the tauraus is not a SHO ,it's a GL 4 door sedan..i'm not sure about regular maintinance as i just got it ...long story short..it was a freebie so i thought if it has an easy ,cheap fix i could use it. no leaks that i know of. i will try banging on the starter when i get a chance and see what happens. as far as i know it was running ok and the knocking started about 2 days before it died. it has about 130000 plus miles on it. if there's anything else you need to know ,let me know. i will let you know what happens when i do the banging thing on the starter.
thanks for your responses guys. i'm glad i found this site...it's great and so are you guys !
julie...

Old 01-06-02, 02:56 PM
It's probalby more serious than a bad starter. The starter only comes into play when the car is being started. As you
postede that you heard the noise as you drove then it would be indicative of some other failure. Unfortunately with this car, it it is late to learn that a car should not be driven if it is making a noise as it simply means something is wrong. In this case, you might check the oil to establish whether the noise was from lack of oil which may have ultimately lead to a seized motor. You will need to try to turn the crank by hand to check this......The 3.8 had its' share of problems.

Old 01-07-02, 12:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's possible for the starter bendix to remain engaged while the engine is running by means of a stuck solenoid in the "on" position. That could be the problem, but I'm putting my chips on the seized motor theory. Sounds like it got low on oil and driven too long and siezed. The starter clanks on the flywheel, trying to turn a locked engine, and the lights dim because of the excessive amperage draw consumed by the starter trying to turn with all it's might. I hope for your sake that's not the problem. Those engines are known to blow out the rubber oil pan gasket in large chunks and lose oil faster than you can imagine.

Old 01-07-02, 01:12 PM
Group Moderator
What this site really needs is ability for people to post .wav files of their noises, LOL; big difference between a starter bendix dragging in the flywheel teeth and, say, a broken rod! Wish I had $10 for every dead Taurus I ever towed, could retire (again).
Have actually taken some to the junkyard that had running motors, but dead trannies and nobody wanted them.

Old 01-07-02, 01:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
LOL tow_guy...can you imagine the things we'd hear? Sounds like a cool idea though, if it falls within the technical boundaries of the server of this site.

Old 01-07-02, 03:37 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Might hear some explicatives in those files. Cars can be a major PITA at times, I know .

A simple way to determine where the fault is: Try turning the engine by hand or having the starter bench tested. If it checks out, the motor is likely seized

Old 01-07-02, 10:01 PM
gstring213
Visiting Guest
well guys...thanks for all the advice and info....i haven't had a chance to check the starter out yet cause it's too cold but i'm sure glad this one was a freebie ..
..your all probably right about the motor seizing and lack of oil since the previous owner was a teenager,lol....when i get a chance to check it out more i will let you all know what the outcome is ...thanks again guys...your all great..!
julie.

Old 01-08-02, 06:01 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lol. Ok.

Not if it was a car I owned as a teenager . It's better than some cars that adults owned. All in how it's taken care of .

Old 01-16-02, 02:22 AM
gstring213
Visiting Guest
hi again...
well, i got someone to come and check out the taraus finally...the motor is definitly seized...the good news is the guy is giving me $100. for the car to use for parts on his taraus ....not bad. thanks for all your advice guys...it was very helpful...now i know where to come if i need any help again!!
julie...

Old 01-16-02, 09:31 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Oooops .

Consider donating it to take a tax write off. You might do better that way. Something to think about.

Search this Thread