Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

89 Buick Century Door Lock Problem

NJ

01-08-02, 04:48 AM   #1  
89 Buick Century Door Lock Problem

Just bought this car for my daughter. As I was driving it home, I used the electric door lock button and all the doors locked just fine. I stopped for gas and went to get out and the lock on the drivers door would not release. All the others did. I tried manually unlocking it from the inside w/out success. I climbed out and used the key to unlock it. It felt as though the key would break at any minute put it finally unlocked the door. I did the same senerio several times and had the same problem each time. It also appears that the latch is digging into the stricker bar. Very worn shinny spot on the latch arm and pin. Before I tear into the door panel has anyone else experienced this problem? What could be causing it and how can I fix it. Other than this issue the car is real solid and dependable for a 1st car w/145k miles.

Thanks,

Doug

P.S. Nothing beats a GEO Metro

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-08-02, 05:52 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Take the door panel off. Something's amiss inside or you have a sagging door (likely).

Power the door lock solenoid with battery power. If it works fine, the problem is the switch or elsewhere.

The latch may have been jammed due the sagging of the door. Rock up and down on the door supporting it with your hands on the top and bottom of the outer edge. If you feel play, the hinges are wiped. Replace them.

Yes, the Buick Century is not a reliable or great car. It's "ok", but is fine for a first car that doesn't cost too much .

Search this Thread