Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1972 Honda 450 Motorcycle

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-08-02, 06:36 AM   #1  
1972 Honda 450 Motorcycle

I am trying to get this motorcycle running. Does anyone know if it's battery should be 6 volt or 12 volt, it was missing when I found it. When I bought my house this bike was in the barn and nobody'd ran it since 1992. Any recommendations of what I should check out on it, besides the obvious (plugs,wires,oil, filters) I really haven't started looking it over yet, and am not very experienced with these things. Is there a place on the web that I could purchase a service manual or other parts.
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-08-02, 04:16 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Wrong place for this machine....but ok

Basically everything rubber has to be replaced. It's all dried out. Tires, carb diaphragm, etc. All fluids.

Clean the body and wax it all up. You're going to have to put money into it. It might be for naught as the bike might be a heap and that's why it might have been parked.

Generally, Honda Motor can furnish you an owner's and service manual. They generally keep stock on things like this for a long time. Visit any Honda bike shop and they should be able to help.

Group Moderator

FL

01-09-02, 12:49 AM   #3  
Ah, what memories! Bought a 1972 Honda 450 (new) year I graduated HS - paid a little over $1000, I think; my partner and I rode to Chicago and back that summer (1100 miles!)

That will be a 12 volt system; afraid that's all the help I can provide.

Visiting Guest

01-09-02, 03:09 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Lol. You're dating yourself there TowGuy.

I was BORN in 1971

Group Moderator

FL

01-09-02, 06:22 AM   #5  
Young whippersnapper!

Visiting Guest

01-09-02, 04:17 PM   #6  
Joe_F
Lol.

01-10-02, 03:46 PM   #7  
Hey we need those young whipersnappers! whose going to go upside down under dash for us huh LOL? I was with Harley D in 72 but saw a lot of honda action. I must have broken a mirror because I spent 7 years in Ohio working on bikes in the Spring, and Construction in the Winter. Every spring out they would come with gas in tanks smelling like varnish, every port in the carbs pluged up and so the first thing is to rebuild the carbs , wash out with fresh gas all parts of tank and lines. I believe you have 2 sets of points with condensers change them out for new, and pick up 6 plugs as you will foul at least one maybe 2 sets. Squirt some Marvel Mystery oil into the spark plug holes and for the next 3 or 4 days with plugs in but unpluged kick it over for a while each day. Remember this is what you will be doing as you clean and rebuild the fuel system and carbs. After you work this MM oil all through the pistons, you can add a new squirt each day to keep flushing it out. With Points installed, new fuel and rebuilt carbs check for spark and take a compression check and write it down. Time to start, get some WD-40 and have someone spray a shot into your carbs as you kick untill it starts to pop. Now turn on your fuel petcocks and fill your float bowls up and put your first set of new spark plugs in with clean air filters attached, and try to start it again. Don't kick to long before you change your plugs as they will become gassed very quickly. If you have good compression, Spark, and clean fuel it should start. I believe if you do a search for Honda clubs/parts you will find a lot of sites for the 60s & 70s Motorcycles with tons of info. Good Luck and remember " Motorcycles are dangerious toys, for Girls & Boys" (Me) 1976 after my best friend went through the side windows of a 1974 Buick Skylark. Marturo

Search this Thread