Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

noisy bushing in steering

TX

01-08-02, 08:37 AM   #1  
noisy bushing in steering

Hello all I have a question on my 86 chevy nova there is lots of rubbing noise coming from the upper part of the steering coloum.
I am pretty sure the bushings need lube,my question is can I just remove the horn pad and then the big nut and shoot something like WD 40 or do I need to remove the wheel itself something I really would not like to do because I dont have a puller and I am to cheap to buy one for a one time deal.
Thanks for all your input oh before I forget this is a pre airbag car.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-08-02, 10:48 AM   #2  
snoop
The last time I had to pull off a steering wheel off, I went to the parts store for a puller, and they had a rental one. Other places will have you buy one, use it, and then return it for a full refund. (free )

Visiting Guest

01-08-02, 04:06 PM   #3  
Joe_F
Steering column bearings are not made to be lubed in that manner. Something is rubbing inside. Pull off the wheel and have a look.

Do as the others suggested with renting the tool. If the bearings are bad, they must be replaced. Can't service them.

Check alldata.com for any known bulletins on this problem.

Search this Thread