vibration ford 150 1998

Old 01-08-02, 10:28 AM
Walter Stewart
Visiting Guest
vibration ford 150 1998

purchased used ford 150. some vibration related to tires. tires replaced and balanced. front end aligned and checked. still as we increase speed to 6o mph a noise and vibration begins and is present untill about 75 mph when road noise masks it out or it dissapears. turning the engine off at 75 and coasting the noise reappears almost immediateley and stays with you untill 60 mph.
had someone ckeck the drive shaft for balance and it is ok. tires ok? tire balance ok? Ran truck on jacks at 70 mph no vibratios. done by people doing the shaft balance. no noise? balanced front tires on truck ok? still I have this vibration of about 40 to 60 hertz.
you can feel it in the steering, floor, and hear it. Help. any suggestions? thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-02, 02:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Possibly a slight seperation in a tire, cupped tire tread, bad shocks, bad universal joint, bent rim, etc... How many miles? 2 or 4 wheel drive? Remove one wheel and install the spare. Drive it and see if vibration still exists. If so try the spare in another spot until you find the bad wheel. (Provided your spare is in good shape and balanced). Let us know!

Old 01-08-02, 03:55 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Good advice and I agree.

Old 01-09-02, 12:57 AM
Walter Stewart
Visiting Guest
98 F150 4.6 L VIBRATION PROBLEM

I was asked for more info. I have had two tire places to check the wheels and tires. one I have used for 20 years with good results and no problems with tires after replacing the origional bad ones.
I discussed vibration with the mechanic I use and the front end man and they said to check the drive shaft. I took the truck to the shop and they tested it on the truck and they said it was not the drive shaft but I asked them to pull it and check the balance and they did. no problem found with it or the joints. I did find this to be an aluminum shaft that was quite long. It has also been suggested that the torque converter could be faulty. this feels like a shimmy in the front end but only at high speed like a 1950 ford pickup I had years ago. but that frequency was much lower and a bump would start it and wouldn't stop till you slowed to about 10 MPH. anything else I can add? hope this helps. thanks.
this bugs me.

Old 01-09-02, 01:41 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check www.alldata.com for any known bulletins.

You could have torque converter shimmy (was the transmission fluid changed recently???) or a weight may have come off the driveshaft.

As suggested, swap the tires and see if the problem transfers from the front to the back. If it does, it is tire/wheel related.

Old 01-09-02, 06:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sometimes a minor seperation of the tire is not visible upon inspection, and will not show up on the wheel balancer. Look at the shocks...is there a wet/oily look on them? This sounds like suspension or wheel related since you report the vibration to be related to speed instead of RPM.

Old 01-10-02, 06:50 AM
Walter Stewart
Visiting Guest
Ford 150 vibration follow up

Per Joe's suggestion I look up the site he suggests. I find a high speed road problem with 98 Ford. SB 98-8-12 goes into adding weights to the rear bumper to counter act this road actuated harmonic vibration. Ford won't give me any responce to my query by e-mail. I asked for the part no of the kit (balancer) or whatever they have. any more info out there? thanks

Old 01-10-02, 07:37 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Call up any local Ford dealer and ask for a copy of the TSB. Most will comply.

If not, call up Ford's 1800 number and tell them to fax it to you . If they don't, ask to speak to a supervisor.

Most Ford dealers will comply or will know about what the fix is based on the bulletin number so I would work with a dealer on it.

Fordtech of this forum probably has some idea about what the fix is as well.

Old 01-10-02, 02:02 PM
Went online with Ford and looked at the TSB 98-08-12 you listed.
This applies if you have a vibration at high speeds going over what they call "segmented concrete roads". The part #'s are as follows: (1) F85Z-17E834-AA Damper
(2) EoAZ-19554-BA Stud and Bearing Mount
(3) N804525-S427 Nuts four recquired

My suggestion would be to swap all four tires and wheels off another vehicle and then reroadtesting.If vibration is still there you've eliminated tires,wheels,balance,etc.

Old 01-12-02, 12:01 AM
Walter Stewart
Visiting Guest
F150 VIBRATION

I went to a ford service manager. He said he has never heard of this TSB untill today. I tried to explain the problem I was having and what I had done so far and he seemed to think I had gone about as far as he could go. He recommended another dealer that had this noise tester. Calling them, again explaining everything. He then gave me to another shop. not a ford shop. Talking to this man he said it might be the tranny and said to try to see if the noise is still there if I drive with overdrive off. noise is still there. The only thing I seem to understand now is that TSB is not relevant to my problem in that I drive on asphalt almost always.

Old 01-12-02, 09:02 AM
Again i would suggest swapping all four wheels and tires off another unit.Ask the dealer what he'd charge you to do this.
We've done this several times using one of our used trucks off the lot.
If the concern goes away with the test tires on the unit you'll know you have a wheel/tire concern.Some of these wheels/tires have to be roadforced balanced to get them to run true.
Also i've seen (hard to believe this!!) warped rotors cause this.
Several techs had teamed up trying to figure that one out.

Old 01-12-02, 11:07 AM
Walter Stewart
Visiting Guest
F150 VIBRATION

I just came from the shop again. The mechanic says I have too much play in the ouput bushing on the tranny. Have a mechanic check it. He also pointed out a rattle in the aluminum drive shaft like someone left a wrench inside it when it was made. He asked that I bring it back after doing these repairs. He is mostly a tire/front end man. I also have a bad seal on the pinion shaft and have to have that taken care of. will keep in touch.
Warped rotors can sure cause lots of vibration when stopping. I have had that a few times myself and was wondering if that might play a part in my vibration. the mechanics at this shop are convinced it's around the drive shaft.

Old 01-24-02, 05:03 AM
Walter Stewart
Visiting Guest
98 F150 4.6 L VIBRATION PROBLEM

I took it to a ford dealer. he said it was the drive shaft. there is a TSB on a new shaft for $672. I drove 2 different fords and they have this same vibration. A 2002 and a 2000 mod. I traded mine for another truck to get a newer version of the vibes. thanks to you all.ws

Old 01-24-02, 09:17 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

Whoa Nelley.

I would be on the blower with Ford making them eat all or part of the repair if I found a TSB on a problem like that!!!

My cars all have the ORIGINAL driveshafts AND U-joints and they are all close to 20 years old. Shouldn't go bad on a truck that new.

My vote's for them eating the repair, part of the repair and/or parts or eating the truck and giving you another one .

That's bad news for Blue Oval if that's how they treat their customers.

My .02

Old 01-28-02, 07:35 AM
Walter Stewart
Visiting Guest
Ford 150 vibration follow up

I THINK I WILL MAKE THIS MY LAST ON THE VIBRATION.
I now know it's the drive shaft. Manuals describe it perfectly. They even give you a test and repair procedure for minor balancing. ( see chilton's 26666 manual page 7-19). I still ask and have asked Ford what is minor and what wear can I expect from this vibration.The output bushing of the transmission on the 98 Ford was worn and the pinion seal was bad. What caused this? Ford finally ( the local dealer) told me my shaft on the 98 was definately bad and should be replaced. They tell me the 2000 model is OK and couldn't be improved by replacement. I ask, could it be improved by proper balancing? It does vibrate, starting about 40 MPH. Thank you all. WS.

Old 01-28-02, 08:11 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
So what is their resolution to the problem at hand? What are they going to do for you?

Old 01-28-02, 01:39 PM
Walter Stewart
Visiting Guest
F150 VIBRATION

At this point I have no input. The dealer just dropped it. I e-mailed Ford but no response from them except to say they received the mail. waiting for now. Do you know any one to contact for better action? WS

Old 01-28-02, 01:41 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The Better Business Bureau for the dealer's lack of dealing with the problem for one.

The National Highway Safety Board for another. The local newschannel (here in NY we have Fox 5 on Your Side).

A direct telephone call to Ford to follow up to your e-mail.

Get the ball rolling in all directions and it will cross paths in the middle .

You'll get a lot of phone calls one day but it will likely get resolved this way!

Old 03-09-02, 04:35 AM
Walter Stewart
Visiting Guest
F150 VIBRATION

I find that ford has a tolerance for these shafts . (.035") If you buy a used truck with over 36,000 miles on it there is no warranty left. You just have to buy a new shaft. I sold the 98 model and bought a 2000 model and ended up with a shaft with .028" of wobble. can feel the vibration but no guaranty that a new shaft would be much better. They tell me that this amount of out of roundness will cause no harm. Ford dealers tell me they do not balance them. Take them to Birmingham Spring, in AL., and they will balance the shaft to minimize the vibration.