90 Chevy Van...no start??????

Old 01-08-02, 05:21 AM
babygirl
Visiting Guest
90 Chevy Van...no start??????

I have a 90 Chevy van that won't start....have replaced battery and starter and had alternator tested. When i try to start it I get nothing but a single deep clunk sound....can anyone help me out? I have two kids under 2 yrs. old....I need a running vehicle in case something were to happen.....

Frustrated

Old 01-08-02, 05:38 AM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
have you checked your ignition coil to ( not sure if it will cure your problem ) but just a suggestion Don,

Old 01-08-02, 05:42 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Bad starter or poor connection.

When it happens, rap on the starter body with a hammer. If it now works, bad starter.

Old 01-08-02, 09:48 AM
babygirl
Visiting Guest
both the starter and the battery are brand new. Just bought them a few days ago. A friend of mine told me that he thinks the motor might have locked up on me...but i don't think that's what's happened. The van was running just fine about two weeks ago...I let a friend of mine drive it to Taco Bell to get some grub and he said that when he was in the drive thru, it started vibrating and then just died...and it hasn't started since.... bough a battery and a starter..replaced them both....still i get nothing

Old 01-08-02, 01:27 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
if you put a socket and breaker bar on the crank pulley center bolt and try to turn it over by hand clockwise if you cant turn it take off your drive belt and try turning it again if it still doesnt turn your have an internal engine problem if it turns after removing belt you need to check all your pulleys with the belt off and make sure thay turn freely by hand.
it doesnt take but a few minutes to check.

Old 01-08-02, 03:59 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If it's not a Delco starter or one that was completely rebuilt by someone competent, it's likely bad again. Some real crappy rebuilts out there.

BeJay has a good idea. Yes the motor could have seized as well.

Have the starter bench tested and for good measure exchange it for another one to be sure.

If it was run low on oil, could be curtains for the motor .

Old 01-09-02, 10:06 AM
babygirl
Visiting Guest
Well, I want to thank everyone for their input. I have figured out what is wrong with the van. The motor has locked up, time to junk it. I jacked up the van to get the starter back off and the van almost fell on me. I'm ok though. I'll get out there and take the starter off tomorrow when I'm rested well. Thanks again to everyone.

Old 01-09-02, 10:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
Be safe out there; never get under a vehicle supported by just the jack, get jack stands or ramps. Good luck.

Old 01-09-02, 10:24 AM
babygirl
Visiting Guest
it still would have fell with jackstands. The metal on the side of the van gave way and bent up causing it to fall a little from where it was. I couldn't get it jacked up high enough to put it on ramps. and I don't have a set of jackstands. But yes, I am always careful. I had a 87 buick skyhawk fall on me a few years ago....not an expeirence I care to repeat!

Old 01-09-02, 12:55 PM
thekeymaker
Visiting Guest
Baby Girl if you are going to Jack up a Vehicle get some old tires that are still on rims and put them under when you jack up the vehicle in case it does fall it will fall on the tires. also tyou might want to chock the tires as well if your changing a tire etc. remember your life is worth more then the vehicle is. Don,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: