Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

possible problem

Visiting Guest

01-09-02, 02:59 AM   #1  
jd123
possible problem

The car is 91 Mustang, 4 cylinder. The car belongs to my son,s girlfriend. He said he was driving it, and it would cut-out and start up again. Didn,t know what the problem was. I,ve never seen the car, they are at college. He said they did have spark at the plugs. They can hear the pump running, and the fuel filter is ok. I told them to check the trouble-codes. They don,t know how, and I didn,t know how to explain it over the phone, they wouldn,t understand. But if you suspected a fuel problem, why couldn,t you spray starter-fluid in the air intake? I realize there may be a maf sensor in there that you wouldn,t want to spray. But if you got down stream from the sensor, I don,t know what harm it would do? To see if the car would try to start. I realize I didn,t give you much info on the car, but I haven,t seen it either. So, what about the starter-fluid or any other suggestions? thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-09-02, 03:05 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Try to disable the fuel pump and then see if you can run some FI cleaner into the rail. Pull the relay out to disable the fuel pump.

If the vehicle will run on fuel injection cleaner, it is a fuel problem.

If you have fat, consistent spark that's blue all the time, the ignition is not the problem.

A bad mass air flow sensor if so equipped can cause a no start condition.

Visiting Guest

01-09-02, 06:38 AM   #3  
jd123
possible fuel problem

Thanks Joe.

Search this Thread