1989 Buick Century Timing

Old 01-09-02, 03:47 PM
Visiting Guest
1989 Buick Century Timing

Does anyone know how to change the timing gears in the 2.5L 4cyl.(4 tech)?. It don't have a timing chain or belt, it's gear to gear.
Help please???!!!!
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-02, 03:51 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
They generally don't wear out . They are pretty stout.

How do you know it's your problem? You should pick up a repair manual to guide you through the repair on it.

Old 01-09-02, 04:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Hmmm

I bought the car from a guy who works at a garage. It wasn't for sale but I talked him into selling it to me(I already own a 1988). He "told" me the timing gears needed replacing. do you recomend Haynes or Chiltons as far as repair manuals go?

Old 01-09-02, 04:09 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Why ? They are fair cars at best. Nothing to write home about....

Both Chilton and Haynes are very basic and generic manuals. The best are the GM manuals from www.helminc.com

Chilton and Haynes skip a lot of pertinent details.

Old 01-09-02, 04:42 PM
Visiting Guest
LOL

I bought the first one for $50. Thats not a typo..fifty dollars..lol..It runs great (98000 miles) but needs the front fiberglass/plastic part by the headlights. The 1989 looks great but needs the timing gears. I got it for $100. So the question isn't "why"..it's "why not?"..lol..Thanks for your help!!

Old 01-09-02, 11:49 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
True. A 50 dollar car is a learning experience, that I will give you for sure. It's not reliable until you sink good money into it.

My free 1984 Olds Delta 88 required 600 bucks (with me doing the work and getting discounted parts!) to get it in driveable shape the way I wanted it to be.

It's a learning experience as well and I just couldn't bear the thought of seeing a nice GM rear wheel drive coupe sitting on top of a Subaru in a junkyard .

Hence, I'm still driving it 5+ years later, trouble free .