94 Ford Ranger Transmission

Old 01-10-02, 02:07 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy 94 Ford Ranger Transmission

94 Ford Ranger Splash Manual 4 speed w/ OD Transmission, v6 3.0, Hydraulic Clutch.

PLEASE HELP,

I had a knocking noise coming from the transmission/clutch area, the sound got worse and then I noticed some loose metal sounds from the same area, took it to a friend and we replaced the throw out bearing and slave cylinder, ....still the same noise, only can hear it when the clutch pedal is pressed down, checked fluid ... full, line has been blead... drove it down the street to a friends house pulled into his driveway, went to back out and could not get into reverse, or any other gear, turned off truck pushed clutch to the floor put it in 1st tried to start truck and it started to jerk, put it in third and started without much jerk and was able to shift to second and get it home, I have drove it a couple of times and it is really hard to shift, noises are still present and have had to pull the "shutoff-put it in gear" trick a few times.......

Please help

Thanks in advance...
ADAM

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-02, 02:25 PM
If the clutch and pressure plate looked good it's probably an internal transmission problem.These transmissions are known for the imput shaft bearings wearing out on them.When this happens
you'd swear you had a throwout bearing problem.

Old 01-10-02, 02:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile Thanks.........More Suggestions are welcome

Ford Tech,

Thanks a Million....

when you said if the "clutch" looked OK, were you referring to the clutch plate??

-and-

if it is the input shaft bearing do you have to take the tranny apart to get to it....isnt it right in the front of the tranny?

Thanks Again

ADAM Baum

Old 01-10-02, 03:00 PM
Yes sir!! Clutch pressure plate and disc. If it's the imput shaft bearing you have to diassemble the transmission.These trucks had a few different transmissions in them:Mitsubishi, Mazda,etc.
If you can get the tag # off the side of the transmission you can call a ford dealer's parts department and they'll be able to tell you which you have.
I'd suggest a complete rebuild due to the shift forks and cycronizers wearing out in these units too.

Old 01-10-02, 03:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking THANKS AGAIN

Thanks AGAIN,

I'll check that out tomorrow, Thanks for your help.

ADAM

Old 01-10-02, 03:56 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Probably worth it to get a Ford rebuilt/exchange gearbox. It will have all the upgraded parts incorporated inside and you can just be in with the new out with the old