why can you not remove battery on newer cars?

Old 01-10-02, 02:14 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
why can you not remove battery on newer cars?

I am trying to figure out my still charging problem on my wifes 96 buick skylark were the battery light goes on when it wants.
I have heard you should not remove the cable to see if it keeps running.I used to do this on older cars in the 60s and 70s what is the differance?what can it mess up if you do and why would it mess it up?
Thanks for all your help

Old 01-10-02, 02:33 PM
F
60's and 70's weren't computer controlled.The battery supplies the computer's ground and a constant voltage signal. Alot of your sensors don't even use the full 12 volts.For instance at hot idle you egr postion sensor on some of these new vehicles read .9 to 1.7 volts not 12volts!!.
It sure would be nice to be able to check some of these things like we use to!!!!!!!.

Old 01-10-02, 03:49 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It shouldn't have been done in the 60's and 70's and it surely can't be done now.

You can spike the diodes (they are one way passages for electricity) and wipe them out quickly by doing this.

The battery light is likely coming on from a worn belt or bad alternator. Check the belt. If it is four years old or more, pitch it for a new one without a 2nd guess. It's time. If the connections are clean and sound on the alternator..... then:

1) 12.5 on the battery, engine off. If not, charge it to bring it to this level.
2) 14.2 on the battery, engne running, no load.
3) 13.5 or higher, engine running, full accessory load (lights, wipers, blower, radio, etc).

If it fails test 2 and/or 3, the alternatori is wiped.

A digital voltmeter from Sears is probably 30 bucks on sale (mine was). Worthwhile investment and a million times more accurate.

Old 01-11-02, 12:44 AM
M
Ok I will not pull cables off

Thanks for the good feedback guys I am a little bit more educated now,I dont want to mess up anything that costs a lot like the computer,I already have a good Fluke 77 multimetar so I can save there.I am pretty sure the alt is bad I think my parts store keeps putting the bad ones I return in stock this is like number 4 from the same store.The store is O reiley auto parts.I think I will just get my money back plus my money for the core and find me a Delco parts house like you said before in another post.As far as the belt goes It sure looks like a pain to change I hope I dont have to remove the engine mount or some thing.

Old 01-11-02, 01:36 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ya, if you have a Fluke, that's fine.

Use it . It will help a lot in electrical repair.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: