Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

View Poll Results: Should I leave the rear end raised or lower it to be level with the front end?
Keep it.
50.00%
Lower it.
50.00%

lowering the rear end on a '91 s-10?

Visiting Guest

01-10-02, 03:10 PM   #1  
greez_munky
lowering the rear end on a '91 s-10?

I have a '91 chevy S-10, I have noticed that my rear end sits up in the air higher than the other S-10s I have seen. There is no lift kit on the rear end from the previous owner. I was told to either take out the rear shocks or the rear leaf springs, but I know that is stupid, but is there any other way to lower my back end? I also thought that maybe the springs on the front were weak, causing the front end to go down, thus causing the rear end to go up. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. The engine is a 2.5 (4 cyl) in case you needed to know. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-10-02, 03:43 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Most of these S/T trucks have a slight "rake" to the front.

If the front is really sagging, you must change the springs and shocks as they are likely shot at this age. Under 300 bucks for everything and it will restore it to stock height.

My bet is new springs and shocks all the way around. The truck will then be fine.

Visiting Guest

01-11-02, 06:51 AM   #3  
greez_munky
Thanks, but is it possible that the previous owner put the wrong size of shocks on the rear end? If so, where can I find out the correct size I need?

Visiting Guest

01-11-02, 07:12 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Shocks do not correct ride height. Springs do . Not likely the wrong shocks are in there and if they are, it's not the problem.

Shocks dampen the impact of bumps. Nothing more.

Visiting Guest

01-11-02, 12:05 PM   #5  
greez_munky
That's what I thought too, but my Auto Tech teacher told me to find out what kind are supposed to be on there. But Thanks for you help. New springs cost around $300? Would you suggest I have a mechanic do it or is it relatively easy to do myself?

Visiting Guest

01-11-02, 06:21 PM   #6  
GerBa
Greez Monkey.
If the rear shocks on the truck are "load leveler type" with springs around the outside you can adjust the height by loosening the spring bolt so that the shock can go back to normal travel then tighten the bolt again.

Visiting Guest

01-13-02, 05:21 AM   #7  
Joe_F
It STILL won't correct a sagging front end. Spring suspend, shocks dampen

If you see air shocks there, someone likely bandaided the problem to get rid of the truck .

Yes, you can do it yourself. If you're talking 300 bucks installed for springs, that's a good price. The rears are leafs, the fronts are coils.

It shouldn't matter what's on there. It's likely that someone put something that is cataloged for the truck in some regard (most shock catalogs offer three or four choices for a given application), but all do the same thing.

When I see air shocks on an older vehicle, I'm reasonably sure the springs are shot .

Search this Thread