engine mounts on '93 Mercury Sable

Old 01-10-02, 06:30 PM
dgh76
Visiting Guest
engine mounts on '93 Mercury Sable

I need to replace the front engine mount (passenger side near the radiator) on a 1993 Mercury Sable. I'll be following the procedure outlined in the Hayne's manual, which involves raising the engine with a jack and block of wood under the oil pan so that the mount can be removed. My question: Do I need to also remove the nuts attaching the other mounts to the subframe prior to raising the engine - - or will there be enough "play" to raise the engine over the front mount without damaging the other mounts that are still firmly bolted to the subframe? The manual does not seem to mention the need to do anything with these other mounts when replacing only the one, but it seems like they could be stressed by the procedure (as far as I can tell on this engine there is also a rear mount on the passenger's side and a transaxle mount on the driver's side). Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-02, 01:32 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If one is bad, the rest are not far behind.

Change 'em all!

Old 01-11-02, 06:18 AM
dgh76
Visiting Guest
Question

The reason I would like to get away with replacing only the front mount is that both front and rear mounts on this vehicle have already been replaced multiple times in the past two-and-a-half years (I'm not aware that the transaxle mount is or has been bad). The rear mount was replaced (for the second time) only about 6-8 months ago. The front mount, which is now bad again, was replaced for the second time about 1 - 1.5 years ago. They were both replaced together the first time. I can't afford to keep paying to have them replaced, so wanted to have a go at it myself this time (I think). So, I would like to do only the front at this time and hope you can tell me if I have to unbolt all of them to raise the engine. I'm aware that the original mounts on Sables/Tauruses of this vintage have a bad record for failing, but if anyone has any thoughts as to why my replacements keep failing, I'm keen to listen. Thanks.

Old 01-11-02, 07:14 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You loosen it enough to raise the engine or sneak the mount out.

What does your repair manual say about the procedure?

Old 01-11-02, 07:23 AM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
You don't need to loosen the other mounts in order to replace the front mount. Just be careful when you raise the engine. You only need to raise it 1/2" or so to remove the front mount.

Make sure you use medium strength Loctite on the upper mount bolt.

Old 01-11-02, 02:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree. I've done that same mount before, and like knuckles said...use medium locktite on the upper bolt or it will loosen. That is a fluid-filled mount and they sure don't last long, as you have found out. Seems like Ford would come up with something a little better.

Old 01-12-02, 06:17 PM
dgh76
Visiting Guest
Many thanks, guys. I'm sure I'll be back in the future with other questions. Glad I've got you bookmarked now.

Old 01-13-02, 08:28 AM
dgh76
Visiting Guest
Question

I have the old engine mount off and things have gone pretty well to this point, but now I notice that there is no heat shield on this mount as the Hayne's manual says there should be. Do you suppose that absence of the shield may account for the repeated failure of these mounts? I find that the parts places don't carry the heat shields and guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if I can get one from the dealer or a salvage yard, today being Sunday. It crossed my mind to just fashion one from a coffee can, but I don't know if that material would shield heat of conduct it. Any advice?

Thanks.

Old 01-13-02, 10:00 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Wait it out and see what the dealer's exploded view tells you from the parts book. Get the right piece.

Hopefully, Ford in their infinite wisdom didn't discontinue it! . It might be part of the mount package and only the dealer has it.

Old 01-14-02, 08:09 AM
dgh76
Visiting Guest
The fellow I spoke with in the parts section of the local Ford dealer told me that the heat shield is available ($6) but that he has never had one in the place and has never sold one. Based on that tidbit of information I tried to speak with someone in service to find out whether the heat shield should always be present (don't know whether my car left the factory without one or whether it was left off by one of the several shops that have changed this mount previously). However, the service advisor did not know and refused to go ask one of the mechanics who would know. Called one salvage yard and my question was met with a long pause, then told they didn't have anything like that. I have to decide to either install it without the heat shield or wait the 2-5 days for the dealer to get one in. Appreciate the help you've been for this little project.

Old 01-14-02, 09:04 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Order the heat shield.

If the parts catalog shows it, it's there for a reason .

Old 01-14-02, 09:06 AM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
I'd install the heat shield. It's only $6 and it can't do any harm. If I were a betting man, I'd say one of the techs who replaced the mount previously probably left the heat shield off.

Old 01-14-02, 09:09 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Either that, or it probably rotted off and was removed by someone (or just fell off)

Search this Thread