Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

86 305TPI IROC engine questions

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-11-02, 11:37 AM   #1  
86 305TPI IROC engine questions

Im restoring an 86 IROC 305 and wanted some advice. I found a good source for used engines and thought about replacing the 305 with a 350. To my suprise the stock 350 engine for this model only provides a marginal increase in HP. With that in mind i will locate a good used one or rebuild my 305. The engine has 115,000 miles and smokes a little. What type rebuild should i do here? all stock parts or after market upgrade? i would like a better cam with a little more "pep", but not anything radical. What else could i do to boost up performance a little? my budget is limited so anything extreme not practical. thanks. jwd

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-11-02, 02:51 PM   #2  
You will have to pull the engine and disassemble it to tell what kind of rebuild it will need. Sometimes a re-ring job will freshen it up, along with bearings, but its not too often you find an engine that will not need at least a little machining. 115k is not too bad on the ol 305's, but in a car like that it may have seen a rough life. I like the 305, but it's hard to beat a 350 for performance. I get plenty of power from my 305 and better gas mileage than most any 350 would. You could boost power a little with a mild cam, depending on what you have to work with, and what you want from it. Edelbrock has performance packages that have dyno-matched cam, intake, heads, etc... Go to edelbrock.com and see what there is. You will need to account for your rear-end ratio, your fuel system capabilities, your heads..if you plan to reuse them, and your wallet. You can squeeze a lot of power from a 305, but it's not the ideal engine to start with if you have performance in mind.

Visiting Guest

01-13-02, 05:32 AM   #3  
Joe_F
There was no 350 in 1986 in an F body like this. The L98 350 used in this generation starts in 1987. About 225 hp stock. It's a decent engine to work with.

Go for a GM ZZ4 crate motor from www.gmpartsdirect.com. They are likely to be the best as a "Drop in" replacement.

At the same time, you should upgrade the cooling system, brakes and suspension accordingly if going to a 350. If you browse the Camaro and Firebird newsgroup, (I do, as I own 2 Trans Ams), there's a wealth of knowledge in there and many guys have done it. Check it out.

Souping up a 305, (I'm assuming you have the tuned port 305 and not the carbed one) is a collosal waste of time. Can things be done to it? Sure, but again, a 350 is a better performance base to start with. Time after time, a 350 will smoke you at the stoplight and he's probably put less money overall in his package than you do for the 305 .

Me personally? I would find a 1987 and up 350 that is stock and in need of work. This way whatever you do is original looking and reliable, because it is designed for that engine. I'm a stickler for "looks original but performs better"

Search this Thread