Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

GMC Date Built Question

NJ

01-12-02, 01:46 AM   #1  
GMC Date Built Question

I am looking at a 2001 left-over GMC Sonoma. I want to know if there is a way to tell when it was built buy the serial number. I know they started building 2002 in September but what I really want to know is how long this truck has been on the lot. This may give me more buyer power.

Thanks,

Doug

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-12-02, 02:55 AM   #2  
darrell McCoy
There is as a rule a decal on the inside of the driver door that has date manufactured,(month and year). you may have to check the dealers for decoding the ID numbers.

Visiting Guest

01-13-02, 05:16 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Yes, the certification label has the month and year of manufacture.

It depends on the model though as to how good of a deal you'll get.

My sister is buying a 2002 Tahoe and the dealers won't budge much (she lives in NJ). The truck is selling like wildfire and the demand exceeds supply. She showed me a window sticker for a $42,000 fully loaded Tahoe with all the bells and whistles. I told her in five years after the lease is up, I would probably buy it from her . Lol.

She wound up configuring a truck online and found a dealer not too far that had what she wanted. My brother in law is a good negotiator and got a good deal with all this financing going on.

Back in '79, my 10th Anniversary was basically titled as a leftover in early January, 1980. It didn't matter. The first owner STILL paid list price for the car, had to buy a 403 and swap with another dealer to get this guy a 400, which is what he wanted. Original leftover price was 13,260.96 (in 1979!). When I finally located and called the original owner and we got talking, he said, "Oh yea, that price was less the 500 dollars I had to give the salesman under the table to order it. They outright refused to order it, even though I was easily approved for a loan back then with double digit inflation and such going on. Simple supply and demand".

So, it depends on the vehicle

NJ

01-14-02, 12:06 PM   #4  
Mfg Date

Went back today at lunch. Looked at the door plate and the Sonoma was built in June 2001. Told them if they didn't like my offer they could keep it another 7 months. 30 minutes later we were both signing and closing the deal. This is a basic work horse no thrills at all.

Thanks for the help,

Doug

P.S. My GEO Metro LSI is now for sale.... after 12 years and a lot of fun and gas savings it was time to get something that would make working around the house a little easier. She will be missed

Visiting Guest

01-14-02, 03:04 PM   #5  
Joe_F
Consider donating it and taking a tax writeoff.

Better than trying to scrape together the few bucks you'll get for it and have to deal with the headache

Search this Thread