1978 VW Transporter

Old 01-12-02, 01:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Question 1978 VW Transporter

Hi! We need to adjust the valves in our pretty awesome old van, a 1978 VW Transporter. How do we do this? (There is a special order they need to be worked on in, I hear!)

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-02, 01:49 PM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
VW valves

you can adjust the VW valve lash in no particular order if you desire, just rotate the engine by hand until a particular set of valves is fully closed (both valve springs fully UN-compressed) loosen the rocker lock nuts, set the gap with a feeler gauge and lock the nuts back down.....been a while since I owned my sand rail, can't remember the measurements, the settings in thousandth's for intake and exhaust can be found in any VW service manual or simply by calling a neighborhood VW parts store......

Old 01-12-02, 02:38 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
If you own & maintain an old VW, you need this

book! Amazon.com sells it for $17.50 + shipping. It'll be the best money you ever spent. Lots of tips & tricks, plus it was written by a guy with a sense of humor, which shines through in the text.

My late father owned air-cooled VWs exclusively from 1967 until the early 1980s (when he stepped up to water-cooled VWs!) This book helped him keep his cars in great condition & saved him a ton of money in repair bills.

Old 01-13-02, 04:34 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I work with a guy that's into those things

VW's like this are simple simons, but I wouldn't enjoy using my legs as the first line of defense in a crash. They are grooooooovy though

That book that Knuckles posted sounds great...

I'd also recommend the factory book as it is detailed and tells you what special tools if any might be required.

I'd say have BOTH books on hand. Sometimes the factory manuals can be a bit daunting .