bad GM primer

Old 01-14-02, 03:07 AM
bad GM primer

I seen the paint on many if not all GM trucks made from 89 coming off in sheets including my 89 that i bought brand new.My paint lasted till last yeat but it was well taken care of wash and waxed all the time.Was there ever a recall on this problem I think GM is at fault for the defect,I can see if there is a small number of trucks with this but I have seen almost all trucks with paint loss.
I have heard a water base primer was used by some of my buddies does this mean if you repaint the truck you need to get rid of all the primer and apply the good primer?Do I have any recorse at such a late date do to GMs crumey paint job?
I would like to hear from all that have any feedback Thanks a million.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-02, 09:01 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
At this point, probably not. Yes, there was a "recall" on this at one time.

It's not just a GM problem. It was a paint supplier problem due to bad paint/primer formulation and water borne primer/bad lots of it.

Old 01-14-02, 09:37 AM
never got my recall

They never sent me a recall I got one I got one for my transmission dip stick they sent me a new one that was one that had a latch on it.Oh well I need to do some body work on it anyway thanks to my teenage son cutting a corner and wipeing out the side of the bed.

Old 01-14-02, 09:43 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check www.alldata.com. I think it was a service bulletin more than a recall. I know all three car companies had this trouble as the paints back then were coming from industry suppliers that all three used.

The people that screamed the loudest got the grease if you know what I mean.

It happened to my friend on his 1987 Mustang. He was washing it one day and the paint came off in sheets .

Old 01-14-02, 10:23 AM
great site

Hey Joe thats a great site I can spend hours in there thanks a million other people might like to see this site.

Old 01-14-02, 12:11 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Son had a 90's astro-van. Paint on hood portion is nearly gone, but primer is still OK. From what I understand Chevy had a time limit on repairing these paint problems, and ONLY if YOU complained.I dont remember any recalls, I know he did not get a re-call else he would have had this repaired.I doubt in this late date you can recover for any paint repairs.

Old 01-14-02, 12:17 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
BTW, seems sometimes on re-calls, the customer does not get one but the dealer has a TSB on the recall and how to fix it. If you dont complain you lose out. Had a 93 GMC, noisy fan and bad shifting. No recalls but I complained and they installed a newer fan clutch and upgraded the computer to correct shift problems. You still hear a lot of older GM's, really noisy fans. Seems they just dont kick out when they are supposed to.

Old 01-14-02, 03:13 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Remember that a TSB is NOT a recall.

There are a plethora of TSB's on my 80 Firebird in Alldata. Half of them don't even apply to the car .

A TSB is a bulletin that might help the mechanic at the dealer fix a problem faster, better and correctly.

Many times, yes, there are "hidden" problems through them. You have to read the text and see if you can make a case for it.

For example, there is a TSB on harse engagement/reverse on my 93 Saturn SL2. The car has 34,000 miles on it and I have serviced the transmission already .

In such case, it is not normal to need any internal transmission work in this short of mileage. This is a "defect". No vehicle should have to have its transmission opened up, if properly serviced for the first 100k.

However, telling me that there is a Delco catalog # to Saturn OE# chart in Alldata is NOT a recall even if there is an improved battery. They are free to make changes and improve.

Old 01-14-02, 05:12 PM
the little people

I guess us little people mean nothing to the big automakers.
a problem as big as the paint flakeing off should of been addressed more because it was such an obvious one.I as a consumer see paint defects on GM cars and trucks would think twice on buying one or another.I am an aircraft mechanic by trade and I am sure that if an airline had dirty ratty aircraft people would find one that looked better.I also hope that a big wig at any of the automakers read this post because I am really POd it seems when they can get away with some thing they do and screw the little guy.Only when the big brother steps in do they do something.What a way to run a buissness.

Old 01-19-02, 01:53 PM
Mudbuster
Visiting Guest
Bad paint jobs

I have a 92 Chevy Silverado .My paint started to peel off after 5 yrs.I took it to the dealer and they told me too bad the warranty on the paint was 3yrs,36 thousand mile warranty.Needless to say I was furious.I went home & called Detroit & complained and within 30 minutes I was called back & told to take the truck to any Chevy dealer I preferred and they would completly strip & repaint it. I recieved a lifetime warranty in writing for the paint job.I still have this truck and the paint is in good shape.It seems they dont like it when good customers tell them that they will buy Japaneese vehicles for now on if they dont stand behind their cars!I had asked whether or not this problem had been fixed before I bought the truck but the salesman lied can you believe that?It seems white & blue had more problems than the other colors available.
I was very happy that they fixed this as I would have never purchased another vehicle from them.I had problems with Ford once & they lost me as a customer for life!

Old 02-02-02, 05:48 PM
sportster pete
Visiting Guest
the correct term for this problem is called peelers. chrysler had the worst problem. the problem was not 'WATER BORN PRIMERS' but the length of time before topcoats were applied. most body shops can strip(with an arisol product called peeler) and re-paint without striping down to bare metal.

Old 02-02-02, 06:09 PM
toucansam
Visiting Guest
Grrrr!!! My 90 Chevy 3/4 ton PU has this problem. The truck is Maroon with Silver side panels. The Silver is peeling off in sheets but all of the Maroon is like new. In the right light it looks fine because the grey primer appears silver in color, in poor lighting.

Old 02-02-02, 07:27 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Silvers and blues were the worst.

I believe some service bulletins specifically highlight these colors

It dates back to water borne products as far back as the 70's.

1979 10th Anniversary Trans Ams like mine made at the Van Nuys, California plant (where water based products were used) turn to dust well before their old lacquer based products in Norwood, Ohio had shiny paint .

The car is two shades of grey and both peel