Removing Inside of Driver Door (96 Ranger)

Old 01-11-02, 01:15 PM
Marshall Buttre
Visiting Guest
Removing Inside of Driver Door (96 Ranger)

I get intermittent "Door is Ajar" lights and very annoying binging alarm that sometimes lasts for 10 to 15 minutes. (Bonkers after about 30 seconds)

I suspect the latch or sensor is out of adjustment, since the outside handle does not return to the normal position after opening the door. I have not figured out how to get the door apart. It sure doesn't have the old snaps that older models had. You know the ones that you always managed to break at least one.

Can some one please help. Thank you.

Marshall Buttrey

Old 01-11-02, 02:46 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There should only be a couple of screws and then the panel slides upward to release from the door.The panel as you'll see has plastic molded "hooks" made on it.
The door adjar switches on these are twisted into the latch and alot of times you can just lubricate them to free them up.

Old 01-11-02, 03:48 PM
Marshall Buttre
Visiting Guest
Thanks Fordtech.

I removed the 2 screws in the inside door handle, and 1 at the bottom left of the door panel. I could not find others. Would more be under the carpet that covers the bottom part of the door panel?

Thanks again.

Marshall Buttrey

Old 01-11-02, 04:13 PM
F
Many times they do hide screws in the carpet area and you can usually feel them with your finger when you run over the area.
Their also might be a screw in the inside door handle "cup"area.
Also if it doesn't have power windows you'll have to remove the window crank handle.
Sorry for not being more helpful than this but as you know Ford likes to change things alot and i'm going off memory.

Old 01-11-02, 05:52 PM
Marshall Buttre
Visiting Guest
You have no reason to say you're sorry. Your help has been great. I will check again tomorrow, providing the weather is reasonable. I tried to find more screws before, but could feel none. Maybe one is all they use; I didn't try to hard to lift the panel.

Thanks again. I hope this does it. I'm too old to listen to that clazon.

Marshall Buttrey

Old 01-11-02, 06:00 PM
F
No problem and good luck!!!!!!!

Old 01-13-02, 05:23 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree. Likely bad door jamb switches. Common problem on these Fords.

That binging will drive you batty .

Old 01-14-02, 07:35 PM
Marshall Buttre
Visiting Guest
Thanks again Fordtech and Joe. I got the door panel off, thanks to your directions. I could not get the latch mechanism out of the door, because I couldn't figure out how to disconnect the outside door handle. (You know how it is when you can't see how they connect.)

At any rate, I eliminated the alarm by cutting the wire from the switch to the fuse panel. I figured it was better than paying Dr. bills resulting from a nervous break down listening to that bing, bing, bing for hours on end.

Thanks again for your help.

Marshall Buttrey

Old 01-15-02, 09:07 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ok, that's the short and dirty way to fix it. Lol.

Next time, visit the Ford dealer and ask for an exploded view of the door and hardware to see how it's all put together. That usually gives you an idea of how to get to it all.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: