Air filters

Old 01-14-02, 09:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Air filters

I recently acquired several cases of purolator air filters. Many are for large deisel applications. Some have old part #'s that are no longer valid. My problem is that I don't know what they fit. Is there a way to find out, or am I stuck a bunch of good filters with no way to know what they're for? Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-02, 10:43 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
You're not stuck if you can get access to a new Purolator catalog.

The catalogs usually have a section in the back that shows photos of each filter & lists the current part number of that filter, along with measurements & specifications.

Match up a given filter with a photo in the catalog, then verify the measurements.

Purolator changed their numbering system in the early 1990s. For example, "old" oil filter PER-111 (interchanges with AC PF-47) became L10111. If you can find a parts store with a catalog from the early '90s ('92 or '93, I think) you should be able to look it up under the old number.

You might also want to try the cross-reference section of a competitor's catalog. For example, look up an old p/n in a Fram or Wix Catalog. If the number crosses to a Fram or Wix number, take that number & look it up in the cross-reference of the new Purolator catalog.

You may be able to do some of this research on-line. http://www.napaonline.com has a handy search feature that allows you to search for "non-NAPA" part numbers. I punched the "old" PER-111 oil filter number in to their search engine & was rewarded with the current NAPA part number for the PER-111 oil filter. If I needed to convert that number to a current Purolator number, all I'd need to do would be to look it up in the Purolator cross-reference.

Good luck!

Old 01-15-02, 06:01 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Either that, or just contact Purolator, which is owned by Mark IV auto.

www.markivauto.com

They were very helpful the last I called on them.

Knuckles is right about the renumbering. This is due to box resizing and retail shelf space allocation that this was done.

Old 01-15-02, 06:45 AM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Question

Joe, last time I checked, Purolator was owned by Arvin Meritor.

Have they been sold recently?

http://www.pureoil.com/legal.htm

and

http://www.arvinmeritor.com/products...et/default.asp

Old 01-15-02, 08:50 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You could be right.

At the time I contacted them, it may have been Mark 4. It was over a year ago.

Yes, Arvin Meritor is an OE supplier of exhaust and shock components to the major car companies.

These companies turn over like wildfire and buy each other out .

Last edited by Joe_F; 01-15-02 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-15-02, 09:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks guys. I'll check around for a catalog. I thought about calling purolator's 800 number, but I would feel silly asking them to list all applications for 15 different filter #'s. I tried their website and punched in the filter # into the cross-reference directory. Can you believe they couldn't find a match?!! And they're the ones who made the things!!!

Old 01-16-02, 05:48 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Cheese,

Not all websites are robust enough to do that .

Give them a call. They should be able to help you out or send you an interchange/catalog for you to do the research.

Most older Purolator filters had a Delco interchange on the back.

Flip the Puro to Delco and go to www.acdelco.com and put the Delco # in. You'll get all the applications .

Old 01-16-02, 08:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks! I'll give it a shot.