Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

cat check

Visiting Guest

01-15-02, 09:55 AM   #1  
mooser1
cat check

easiest proper way to check catalytic converter for blockage?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-15-02, 10:10 AM   #2  
Joe_F
By using a backpressure gauge for the purpose. I believe a temperature probe can be used to measure converter efficiency as well. That is the proper way.

The poor man's way is to bang around on the converter. If you hear pieces rattling around inside, it's wiped and has broken down. Time for replacement.

You can temporarily disconnect the pipe to the converter. In extreme cases of converter clogging, the engine won't start. If the vehicle starts with the converter disconnected (It will be LOUD!) the problem is the converter.

However, the root cause of the problem should be established or you will clog the new converter in a jiffy .

Type of vehicle?

Visiting Guest

01-15-02, 10:13 AM   #3  
mooser1
90 Chevy 1/2 ton truck, 305

Visiting Guest

01-15-02, 11:08 AM   #4  
Joe_F
They do clog over time, but I'm on the original cat in most of my cars with over 141k on one of them.

Bad O2 sensor, spark plug wires, oil burning and other mechanical problems cause the converter to stuff.

Visiting Guest

01-15-02, 11:16 AM   #5  
mooser1
I've owned this truck since new, never had any problems with it, was just curious as to what the test proceedures might be in case I ever need them.......thanks for your help.....

Visiting Guest

01-15-02, 01:34 PM   #6  
Joe_F
Ok. If you pass your emission check with good numbers, the cat is likely working fine (or the machine is rigged..lol)

Search this Thread