help

Old 01-15-02, 01:39 PM
Visiting Guest
help

car wont start i tryed changing coil and i dont get no spark any way it cranks but no turn on or spark i also checked the distributor rotor and it spins what going on can u help please
1984 am general (jeep)4.2 258 6 inline

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-02, 07:28 PM
I'm not real familiar with the vehicle but most work off the same principle.You mentioned in another post that you have voltage on the small wire going to the coil.Take a test light and attach it to the negative side of the coil and crank the engine over.If the light doesn't flash you've either got a pickup/stator inside the distributor bad or a faulty ignition module.

Old 01-17-02, 10:44 AM
greez_munky
Visiting Guest
One problem with the test light, is it won't tell you how much power you are getting to the starter. 4-cylinders need about 100 volts 6 cylinders need about 150 volts and 8 cylinders need about 200 volts (in between those numbers and another 50 extra volts). But if your multimeter reads the right number of volts, test the amps. I'm not sure how many amps are needed. But when you test the volts make sure you set the meter up in parallel not series, or you will blow up your meter.

Old 01-17-02, 04:14 PM
I have yet to see 100,150, or 200 volts in any automobile application.Battery voltage usually around 12.8 to 13.2 volts.

Old 01-17-02, 04:17 PM
greez_munky
Visiting Guest

I'm sorry, I meant amps. I knew it was one or the other.