Ping or Tinging sound

Old 01-16-02, 07:06 AM
Unhappy Ping or Tinging sound

I have a 1994 Ford Ranger superCab 4.0L auto with about 74500 miles on it (owned since it was new). Started mid-winter of last year, when you started it cold it would get a ping/tinging sound, from outside the truck sounds like it coming from the oil pan, from inside the truck it sounds like its in the exchaust.
As you drive off it gets louder and faster (but no rhythm to the noise and does not be up speed equal to the motor) but once the motor warms up a little not much it stops. Between new baby, moving and it dont do it during spring/summer I kind of forgot about it, till cold time return. But now it doesnt always do it when it started, might do it after I drive off but still stops after it warms up, had it also not be doing it at all turn it off go in somewhere come back out after about 10 minute and it make the noise. I've tried while driving down the road with it making the noise take the truck out of gear without lifting up of the gas and the noise stops. Its driving me nuts, evertime I think I figure it pattern out it changes a little. I dont know if this related or different problem,
but lately when driving down express way and start squeeze pedal litely down, you can here light ping. Also if driving about 50 and step down just enough to drop from overdrive to drive it will rattle the valves bad. Any suggestions? Sorry its so long, tried to provide as information as I can.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-02, 07:27 AM
Visiting Guest
Cold oil and lifters

My guess is that the lifters are making the racket because of the cold and thick oil. After the oil thins (when it gets warm), the lifters are getting properly lubed and quieten down.

I always (if I have time) let my car warm up good before I start driving it.

Old 01-16-02, 07:32 AM
Visiting Guest
One more thing

I was re-reading your post and saw that you said you can drive it, park and come back out a little later and it is making the noise again. You could have a problem with a lifter sticking due to a lubrication problem or bad lifter.

You also seem to be describing more than one problem. When you say "...I dont know if this related or different problem,
but lately when driving down express way and start squeeze pedal litely down, you can here light ping. Also if driving about 50 and step down just enough to drop from overdrive to drive it will rattle the valves bad." you are describing pinging which can be caused by different things such as incorrect timing or just bad gas. For this problem, I would try changing gas (maybe higher octane) and use a fuel additive in a couple of tanks of gas to help clean your engine of deposits. Then continue to use a good quality gas in your truck. If that doesn't help you may have ignition timing problems.

Old 01-16-02, 09:29 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check www.alldata.com for known bulletins and recalls relating to the symptoms/problems.

If you find any that match what your problem is, call up any Ford dealer and ask for a full printout of the bulletin and what the fix is.

Pinging or spark knock/denotation is from low grade fuel as mentioned, carbon deposits, or timing troubles.

Have the oil pressure checked with a reliable hand held gauge and compared to the specs in the service manual to rule out any oil related problems. Do not trust or use the dash gauge. Must be done with a hand held oil pressure gauge.

What grade of oil do you use and how often is it changed?

Old 01-16-02, 12:09 PM
I change the oil ever 3000 -3500 miles or sooner if it starts to look dirty. I use 10w-30 penn (use to use motorcraft but cant hardly find it except at dealer) and use motorcraft oil filter. I will dig up one of mech. gauage that was spare for 68 chevelle and test oil pressure this weekend. I'm pretty sure that timing on this truck is all computer control (no disturb. just coil pack). Will post this weekend with results of the oil pressure.

Thanks

Old 01-16-02, 01:31 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No, no no!

A hand held gauge for the purpose of checking oil pressure. Rent it at any Autozone or parts store with a tool rental program.

Do not use a dash gauge! It is not reliable or calibrated.

Old 01-16-02, 08:46 PM
You might have your local Ford dealer run your vehicle I.D. number for you(It's free) and see if this truck has any open campaigns on it.I'm not sure what years are covered but there
is a campaign on the 4.0L engines for timing chain tensioner/intake gaskets.I've been doing several of these lately but they were on Explorers and not sure if it applies to the ranger.

Old 01-17-02, 05:01 AM
Fordtech, thanks, I will check into that.

Joe, I think you misunderstand what I was saying about the oil pressure gauge. Its not a factory dash gauge, its autometer aftermarket oil pressure gauage. But I will go and rent/buy a hand held to test with. And repost this weekend with the results.

thanks everyone for the information.

Old 01-17-02, 10:54 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Again, it's not for this purpose.

Unless it is a DESIGNED test gauge for use in oil pressure checking, it's not accurate. Be it factory, Stewart Warner, Delco, etc. These are monitoring gauges, not testing gauges . If it's made to be permanently installed in a car, it's not a test gauge .

There are gauges sold and made for oil pressure testing. That's what you want to use. It is calibrated for this purpose.

Old 01-17-02, 07:51 PM
res06ozp
Visiting Guest
Ford Ranger pinging

I had a ford truck doing the same sort of noise,I think. Turned out to be the flex plate broke along it's bolt pattern. The break was irregular so it still held to turn the engine when the starter engaged it but made all variations of sounds. Just a thought.
Dave

Old 01-18-02, 07:56 AM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
you could be on to something here, Dave....I remember a 1977 Chevy truck with a 454 I bought had the same cracked flex plate problem.....as everything got warmer and expanded the sounds would diminish....I would definitely check here.....

Old 01-18-02, 10:58 AM
res06ozp & mooser1, I kinda wonder that myself, as I had a smb chevy that crack the lower crank pulley sounded like rod getting ready to let go. If I get time this week I will try to peek in there and see if anything looks odd.

Thanks everyone for the information.

Old 01-19-02, 10:11 PM
Talking Fixed Yeepee!!!!!!!!!

This one might be one to put in the books. I jacked the front of the truck up, I was going to check the flywheel, but this truck dont have flywheel inspection plate. So by just chance when I was laying there scatching my head. I pulled at the started, brushed by finger up against the solenoid and it moved. Thought to myself that not right. So I look it up the ford service manual and there was suppost to be 2 screws holding on. I drop the starter down the 2 screws where completely back out. I tighten the 2 screws down and torqued them. The edge of the teeth on the starter and flywheel are worn, but still mesh fine. I put the starter back in, and start the truck no tinging. I posted this hoping that this might save someone in the future, from going insane from something that was so illogical by its behavor. I would like to thank everyone for the suggestions and help.

Thanks
Hobie