How remove fan belt?

Old 01-16-02, 02:00 PM
Visiting Guest
How remove fan belt?

Hi:

How do I loosen the fan elt to remove it?

Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-02, 02:07 PM
Visiting Guest
sorry...1990 pontiac transport

Sorry...

1990 pontiac transport. Single belt.

bob

Old 01-16-02, 02:07 PM
Without a car make and model we really can't help you other then suggest you buy a Chilton's manual for the car in question.

Old 01-16-02, 02:08 PM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
use an elt rench......

seriously now, if it only has one belt it will be a serpentine belt...on top of the engine will be a spring-loaded tensioner, you have to use a long bar and pry up on this tensioner to release pressure on the belt.....re-install new belt with the same prying technique, it will automatically adjust the proper tension to the new belt......

Old 01-16-02, 02:19 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi:

Thanks. I thought I watched someone do this by turning something on the tensioner and it loosened it. Then when they finished replacing the water pump the placed the belt in the right place and turned something on the tensioner the other way to tighten it.

I'll see if I can do it your way. Thanks.

BTW, the tensioner is in the middle of the block (pontiac transport 1990)

Bob

Old 01-16-02, 02:57 PM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
the tensioner has a hex sided shaft sticking out from the center of it, it can lead you to believe that it's a nut which can be loosened......some guys use the right size socket and a long breaker bar (this is probably what you witnessed) but in actuality they use the bar to "pry" against the spring just as you would with the previously mentioned prybar, using the socket and bar as a handle.......

Old 01-16-02, 03:07 PM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
just a follow-up.....I started laughing to myself after my last post, remembering when I first bought my 1990 Chevy truck brand new and first saw the tensioner......I attacked it with a wrench immediately to see how it worked and ultimately discovered the spring.....lol

Old 01-16-02, 04:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks again. Earlier today, when I turned the nut counter-clockwise I could swear it loosened. So, tomorrow morning I'll try it again when it is light out (and a warmer!) and see what happens.

The problem is that I have an incredile noise coming from one of the units the belt goes around. So, I'll loosen the belt and turn the pulleys to see which is making the noise. I think it is the alternator as it was blazingly hot compared to the other units.

Bob

Old 01-16-02, 04:55 PM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
you're on the right track, an alternator will make one heck of a racket when the bearings wear out....when you wrenched on this hex, it probably did move, it's solidly mounted to the plastic "wheel" which rides on the belt, you were actually spinning the entire unit against the friction from your belt.....once you get the belt off, spin the wheel by hand, you'll see what I mean.......by the way, in case alternator is ok, these tensioning units can also go bad and will make all kinds of noise themselves......good luck.....