Can't get alternator off

Old 01-17-02, 06:29 AM
Visiting Guest
Can't get alternator off

Hi:

1990 pontiac Transport

I finally pried the tensioner up and got the belt off the alternator. Now, I can't get the front bolt loose. The socket slightly stripped the bolt head. So, I've been trying vice grips. Then wd40, then vie grips again. Still can not get it loose.

It looks like the alternator is bolted to a piece of steel that is in turn bolted to the block. I can see 3 bolts about 6 inches below the alternator so I loosened them thinking I would take this piece with the alternator and then when on the workench I would be able to remove the alternator from it. BUT, when I loosened the 3 bolts (all I can see) the piece won't come loose.

Sheesh. I'm mechanically inclined but this is driving me nuts!

Help!

Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-02, 08:24 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi:

Front bolt off. I pounded on a 3/8 socket and got the bolt loose. The alternator is swiveling a small amount (1/4 to 1/2 inch) so there is a bolt or some sort in the back.

I reached behind the alternator and believe I touched the bolt but you have got to be a contortionist to get a socket on it and even then I don't know how I will get any torque on a wratchet.

Is there an easier way to get the Alternator off? Am I missing something?

Honestly, thanks for the help.

Bob

Old 01-17-02, 08:54 AM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
should just be the two bolts, a longer (3") or so one near the bottom that runs thru two ears for pivoting and a shorter one on top......not familiar with your engine but alternators usually are fairly easy to remove and replace......my Haynes manual for my truck shows 3 exploded views of different alternator mountings, all three use only 2 bolts to hold the piece to it's mounting brackets......if you don't have a manual for your car, a local parts house will have an exploded view in their parts manuals that they should let you refer to for the exact location of your particular mounting bolts.....hope this helps, good luck.....

Last edited by mooser1; 01-17-02 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-17-02, 09:23 AM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
post script to last post......most late model GM vehicles use metric bolts for all mounting accessories under the hood, this may account for your having to "pound" a socket on to the bolt head for removal.......just a thought.....

Old 01-17-02, 09:41 AM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
best place I've found to purchase those Haynes manuals for much less than they get for them at your local parts store......

http://www.discountautorepairmanuals.com/

Old 01-17-02, 09:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Got IT!

Miracle. No kidding. The back bolt came loose pretty easy. Thank God!

Thanks for everyone's assistance.

Bob