89 accord dog'n in the rain

Old 01-17-02, 07:26 AM
Visiting Guest
89 accord dog'n in the rain

I have an 89 Honda Accord that keeps dying when Itís wet out. The problem starts on hills with the car loosing power. If I can make it to the top of the hill I will pick back up speed but will have no power as I reach the bottom. The car will continue to slow till it dies. I have always made it off an exit as I am always on the highway and I am able to crawl along and find a good place to sit and wait After about 15-20 min. it will start back up again like nothing happened. Obviously the engine heat is drying out what ever is wet and off I go. I have replaced cap, rotor, wires, and plugs to no avail. Dose anyone know what is going on and what I might be missing.

Thanks,
Adam

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-02, 10:16 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What quality parts did you use? Some replacement parts are not as good of quality as others. Still might have the same problem .

Also which Accord, DX, LX, LXi?

Old 01-17-02, 10:25 AM
Visiting Guest
Yeah - I feel the same way. thats why I always go with top end parts. Honda cap and rotor, Boch plat. plugs and wires. Its a 4DR DX. Carb.

Old 01-17-02, 10:35 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Those Honda carburetors are very pesky.

Chances are at this stage, the problem is likely there if all else checks out.

Old 01-17-02, 11:17 AM
Visiting Guest
hey Joe - looks like you were in the ball park!
I just came across a article about " The accord disease" talked about my problem just about word for word. Said the problem is carb. ice. said to replace the ACT ( Thermostatic Air Cleaner system) the sensor and vacuum motor that regulates the air into the carb in essence sending dry warm air into the carb. on cold wet days. thanks for your input gana give this a try!!