Snow job

Old 01-17-02, 07:55 AM
Snow job

I have a 98 Merc Villager 57,000 miles nothing wrong but took it in for a tune up (first one) within five minutes mechanic said he could see I needed new brake pads (without removing wheels) performed T/U I picked it up and noticed a miss took it back mech said I needed new spark plug wires $100.00 plus 30.00 labor I would think that a good mech would have noticed the miss I feel like I have been snowed and I live in Florida What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-02, 10:12 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If you brought it for a tuneup, it probably should have been caught the first time.

Most times you have to be specific with repair shops about what you want and what is to be discussed.

How I would have approached this?

"Hi, It's Joe. My van is approaching 60k on the clock". I'd like to bring it in to you and go over what's recommended.

Mechanic: "You need a tune up at that mileage".

You: "OK, what is required at 60k? What does Nissan or what do you recommend changing?"

If the mechanic can't answer or recommend, he's not the guy you want to go to. He's just changing parts.

I'm sure both items were needed, but the CUSTOMER must communicate as well

Old 01-17-02, 10:58 AM
snow job

Hi Joe Thanks for reply Notice my question I went in for a tune up based on mileage alone it ran better when I went in I would hesitate to go back.Do you think Im wrong Thanks jimh

Old 01-17-02, 11:00 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yup. Find out what happened. A car should not run worse than when you bring it there .

Old 01-17-02, 02:36 PM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
pretty easy for someone to mess up a plug wire, intentionally or not......more repair, more money.....unfortunately sometimes this is "protocol" with unethical repair facilities.....nuff said......

Old 01-17-02, 04:05 PM
Your Villager should have had double platinum plugs and probably didn't even need the plugs changed at this time.
For future reference ALWAYS ask to see the old parts that were removed,this way you can see they actually installed them.

Old 01-17-02, 05:05 PM
snow job

Thanks Guy's Iguess it does snow in florida JimH

Search this Thread