89 Cavalier - engine change

Old 01-17-02, 09:06 AM
GLC519
Visiting Guest
Unhappy 89 Cavalier - engine change

I have a 89 Chevy Cavalier that is in great shape except for one thing - I have a blown engine! Although i am pretty handy when it comes to working on simple things (breaks - exhaust - etc) i have never attempted an engine change. I can buy what they call a short block for $805 which will make the project worthwhile. I also have a haynes manual, good tools and access to a hoist. Am i absolutly nuts or do i have a chance for success? Any web sites or books that might ease the learning curve?

The engine is a 2 liter 4 cylinder with air and power steering

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-02, 09:49 AM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
here's a link to a site to buy Haynes manuals, they have detailed explanations as to complete engine rebuilding, removal and installation, etc........

http://www.discountautorepairmanuals.com/

you should keep in mind that the head on your old engine is worn out also and will need rebuilding as well, you would be miles (and dollars) ahead to purchase a "long block" which includes the new head with the package, instead of opting for a short block.....

Old 01-17-02, 10:00 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Skip the Haynes manual if you are going to do anything serious like R&R of the engine.

I agree with Mooser1, but get the GM manual from www.helminc.com.

Also, remember that a 1989 Cavalier is a 1000 dollar vehicle, so you are essentially putting in what the car is worth in engine parts . If you like the car for what it is, go ahead and do it, but might want to consider putting that grand to something else.

Old 01-17-02, 10:08 AM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
you're right Joe, vehicle value is a consideration on this one.....

Old 01-17-02, 10:17 AM
GLC519
Visiting Guest
Good advice on the value - if i am successful in the change - i got virtually a new car with a good education on changing the engine, a first for me. The downside is i junk the car - Thanks for your thoughts!